Here's what I was sent and here's what I did...

I swear I'm trying to make a clean break from this and generate open and honest feedback! How does one learn if not through trial and error?

You're perfectly within your rights to do so. It might just be wiser to disassociate yourself with shred101 in the process, and avoid posting in-development material you aren't expressly cleared to post.

You're perfectly within your rights to do so. It might just be wiser to disassociate yourself with shred101 in the process, and avoid posting in-development material you aren't expressly cleared to post.

+ a million

You'll get a better chance at working on future projects with other people if you carry your self a little more maturely. This really isn't anyone elses business aside of you and shred so you should have left it that way and just settled it between the two of you.

Take what he said and use it as constructive criticism. If you used half the energy you're using right now in this thread, you could have already been improving on that drum track. I'm not trying to be a dick so don't take it as that. It's just that doing something like this is really frowned upon in my eyes at least. You guys didnt agree on it that should have been the end of the situation, or at least try to find common grounds and listen to what you can fix.

I'm sure you are right. I felt it was fine to post this stuff up because it's freely available in another thread on this forum. I was only trying to give an A/B of the versions. If shred101 wants me to remove his original version from this thread I'll do that.

+ a million

You'll get a better chance at working on future projects with other people if you carry your self a little more maturely. This really isn't anyone elses business aside of you and shred so you should have left it that way and just settled it between the two of you.

Take what he said and use it as constructive criticism. If you used half the energy you're using right now in this thread, you could have already been improving on that drum track. I'm not trying to be a dick so don't take it as that. It's just that doing something like this is really frowned upon in my eyes at least. You guys didnt agree on it that should have been the end of the situation, or at least try to find common grounds and listen to what you can fix.

I swear that's what I did! I said to him if it's not your cup of tea I understand, wished him luck and further said I was looking forward to hearing what they came up with! I didn't think the song was boring. Why would I have drummed to it if I did? Only indicated that the programmed drum track was boring to me. That's only my opinion of course.

But I'm done with that. I only posted this info to hear others criticisms of my work. Wanted to know what could be done to make what I do better and I thank you for your input.

Ruh-roh. It looks like there's been some ninja editing going on!

So I guess it's safe for me to think that for unedited, non-quantized live takes it's really not that bad? Trying to nuture my bruised ego here! I know some stuff is pretty over the top. I was showing off and it's come back to bite me on the ass!

No, it was definitely a poor, out of time performance.

Not so much "vomit inducing" as "you need to practice simple beats to a metronome before trying to be Derek Roddy." Your fills are extremely sloppy and out of time, and half of the drum parts don't fit what the guitars are playing.

For what it's worth, I know I'd have spent far more time improving my drumming, both writing and performance wise, than bitching in this thread and trying to fix your ego.

I also know if you handed me that track, I'd have stuck with the programmed drums over your take. "Boring drums" or not (and they did not sound boring to me at all), having some stock beats is far better than having to edit drums for hours trying to make them fit to a click.

The faster beats are pretty lame, the slower beats are pretty nice. Lamest beat imho was the "too ka too ka" at 40 seconds, but dunno, the snare sound is not making me all wet. And the first tom tomy beat is lame. :p I feel bad now. :p But I must say I really respect this topic because I know some drummers who are way worst and think they're super good. But I also know A drummer who could record that in less 5 takes and no editing would be required. He is my friend. :pPP

I appreciate everyones feedback in this. All criticism is welcomed. I didn't post this as a bitch fest. Was honestly looking for feedback! Some people are more blunt than others but that's to be expected when you air the dirty laundry I guess. Everyone has an opinion and I'm glad to hear the view points.

man those guitars sound impossible to play... I'm sure they aren't, but they sure as hell sound like that at times :loco:

As for the performance, I'd practice more, take the recording piece by piece, etc. It really sounds like you're trying too hard. Kind of like my drumming on my band's first demo 3 years ago :lol:

FWIW, I think it's harder to play e-drums than real ones. The feel is so different, and they're picking up every mistake you could possibly ever make. I'm mainly talking about e-kits with rubber pads. My god, they fucking suck. But I'm still a (part-timely) happy owner of my Roland kit.

I recorded myself during our new demo's sessions, using an e-kit, and it's kind of a pain in the ass unless you are perfectly set up and don't need to worry about anything else than the actual playing. The unrealistic feel really prevents you from enjoying the playing to any extent during recording and you can't get over the fact that you will hear every single smallest mistake later. It kind of sucks.

My kit was pretty well set up whenever I recorded, my double pedals weren't, plus I'm not a double bass god or anything so I had to do some quantizing on db tracks. But I'd say it takes a lot of getting used to, and it's pretty frustrating when you don't get the results you need. I'd choose an acoustic kit any day of the week, obviously, but I don't get the chance.

using terms like "vomit inducing" is unproffessional,
i woudn't say that to me bandmates,even if i knew them for 10 years...

Not so much "vomit inducing" as "you need to practice simple beats to a metronome before trying to be Derek Roddy." Your fills are extremely sloppy and out of time, and half of the drum parts don't fit what the guitars are playing.

For what it's worth, I know I'd have spent far more time improving my drumming, both writing and performance wise, than bitching in this thread and trying to fix your ego.

I also know if you handed me that track, I'd have stuck with the programmed drums over your take. "Boring drums" or not (and they did not sound boring to me at all), having some stock beats is far better than having to edit drums for hours trying to make them fit to a click.

I totally agree with everything you said except for having stock beats is better than having to edit drums for hours to make them fit to a click. I'm of the opinion that I want my drums to be as interesting/original as possible. Perhaps even over the top! I respect your opinion and we all know that when someone bases you out you'll look for the reasons why and either try to fix it or get all pissy pants and start bitching. I did a little of both.

Derek Roddy, George Kollias, Mike Portnoy etc I am not and never will be. However, I do think that I come up with interesting stuff from time to time and would like to cultivate that for me personally. Editing and quantizing will be needed. It's a sad fact that there are very few guys out there that can play to that standard without massive editing.

Hey everyone, for what it's worth I'm going to post up another thread to a personal project I've been working on. It's still a work in progress and it's out of time and the like. Not mixed very well (any pointers here would be appreciated- I know the bass is super clanky. What do you think: A De-esser?) and there's no vocals. I played it all myself and because my guitar skills are not so good I get fed up with it. Give a listen if you have time and let me know what you think. I'll edit the drums and quantize the shit out of them in the future but try to avoid the sound of soulless programmed perfection.

Link:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/rate-my-mix-tone-threads/583972-mix-song-advice.html#post9021429