circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Heresi – Psalm II: Infusco Ignis
Hydra Head Records – HYH-119 – October 10th, 2006
By Jason Jordan

heresi.jpg

In thinking of one-man black metal entities, there’s the good (Leviathan, Lurker of Chalice, Xasthur), the bad (Sapthuran), and the ugly (Striborg). If Psalm II: Infusco Ignis is any indication of the usual quality of Skamfer’s (ex-Ondskapt) work, then you’ll be salivating at the thought of future recordings from this troubled, Swedish individual who, interestingly enough, chose Wrest (Leviathan, Twilight, Lurker of Chalice) for his cover artist.

Like Xasthur’s most recent full-length Subliminal Genocide, Hydra Head scooped this up for U.S. distribution, and yes the pairing is bizarre, but also potentially lucrative for both the label and band. Originally issued by Total Holocaust Records, Psalm II follows up the obscure Psalm I with 30 minutes of mid-to-fast-paced BM that fulfills the genre requisites as if Skamfer compiled a checklist before recording even one note. First and foremost, those of you who are sickened by a subpar production will not have to leave the room when Heresi blast from the speakers because the recording – as a whole – sounds good. I mean, really good. Instruments never drown out one another, and the meaty growls rest on the same level as the music, which means they aren’t background-dwellers (Nachtmystium) nor foreground-occupiers.

Even from the outset of “Liotte,” despite the typical beginning, it’s obvious that Skamfer knows how to play. The riffs and rhythms that radiate from Psalm II will have most nodding their head while a malevolent scowl unfolds. Still, Heresi are neither the most threatening outfit around, nor the most innovative, but the songwriting capabilities displayed in every facet of P2 demand respect and provide malicious pleasure at the same time. From the lofty, double-bass-ridden “Bevingad Och Forsedd Med Horn” to the Darkthrone-esque “Dionyssosinitiationen” to the onslaught that is “Prosairesis” to the blistering “Infusco Ignis,” this unit evidently knows no bounds. Overall, this is a refreshing piece of work that reaffirms the notion that all one-man projects aren’t cases of bedroom/basement black metal, which errantly rely more on drive rather than pure talent.

8/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Official Heresi Website
Official Hydra Head Records Website

This little number surprised the hell out of me. The "one-man" bit had me dreading boring mush like Xasthur or Nortt. Instead, this really sounds like a complete band. The riffing is excellent and quite original in places.

Recommended!:headbang: