Hetfield On Why Pepper Keenan Did'nt Make Metallica

Deadly Embrace

TL PREACHER
Feb 27, 2002
Bay Area
www.sfmetal.com
METALLICA's HETFIELD: Why PEPPER KEENAN Didn't Make It Into The Band

METALLICA frontman James Hetfield has confirmed reports that C.O.C. guitarist/vocalist Pepper Keenan was one of the musicians to have auditioned for the bassist slot in the group following the departure of Jason Newsted.

"[Pepper]'s a good player and a solid guy," Hetfield told Kerrang! magazine. "I had such high hopes for him. But when it came to jamming with the band, I knew that it wasn't going to work. It just didn't feel right."

Keenan was one of several high-profile names to have auditioned for the slot (other musicians known to have tried out for the group include former MARILYN MANSON and current A PERFECT CIRCLE bassist Twiggy Ramirez, and ex-KYUSS man Scott Reeder), which eventually went to former OZZY OSBOURNE/SUICIDAL TENDENCIES bassist Robert Trujillo.

Trujillo, who first met METALLICA when SUICIDAL TENDENCIES toured with them in 1993, is overjoyed at the prospect of playing with one of the biggest metal bands of the last couple of decades.

"This band is one of the true Goliaths of rock," Robert said. "They're one of the few bands in the world who have such a stature. To be part of that is just incredible."

Guitarist Kirk Hammett suggested that Trujillo audition for the band after the pair went surfing in Venice Beach, California.

He said: "Rob is a great guy. He's now a member of the METALLICA family. He's not a hired guy, he's not on a salary — he's a full-time member of the band."

Hetfield added: "When we played with Rob, it just sounded and felt right."

well,
i hope the new album is as good as it's being hyped up to be, i respect that rob is a decent bass player, but for fuck sake, they better use his talent!

... well it won't stop me from buying their album, its just a shame that they have released some way below average, bullshit, and are still one of the biggest, and richest bands in the world, they better make up for the time they've fucking lost....

hehe, \MetallicA/

what do you guys think maidens album will be like?
i think they might head back towards quite a fast riffy style maiden, eg, the trooper era, and mix that with the added lushness and cool vibes of Brave new world,
but i fucking can't wait, it's gonna rule