Hey Erik ---> RE: Runemagik

Krilons Resa

Jerry's married?!
Nov 7, 2002
Inside dorian's gym bag.
http://www.hellridemusic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11568

HM-3210lg.jpg

It always amazes me how the incredibly prolific underground metal hero Nicklas Rudolfsson toils in relative obscurity – I mean, there’s Runemagick, Swordmaster, Deathwitch, Sacramentum, The Funeral Orchestra for starters – that’s a pretty impressive list of metal right there. But you never see the man’s face on the cover of Terrorizer. In metal… especially in metal… the cream doesn’t always rise to the top. And when it does, like in politics or entertainment, it’s always somewhat suspect.

Well, Runemagick have just released what is their ninth full length in the span of 8 years. Taking into consideration the relative disappointment of last year’s tepid Envenom, I can’t begin to tell you how much I enjoy the pure, unadulterated heavy occult darkness that Invocation of Magick unleashes. Runemagick are back in spades. It’s unfair to label this “Death/Doom”, even though this is exactly what it is. That oft-used term tends to bring to mind unintelligible grunts over snooze-inducing, sometimes symphonic-soaked extended arrangements that go nowhere and tend to wallow in self-pity. On Invocation Of Magick , Runemagick take the rawness of early Swedish Death Metal and apply it to the epic Doom Metal ethos. The result is somewhat like an amalgam of Dismember and Candlemass, with just the right amount of the atmosphere of dread ala’ Blunt Aus Nord or The Funeral Orchestra. Multiple time changes, raw-but-not-indecipherable vocals, riffs that crush and epic-length arrangements that suffocate the listener in seething occult darkness.

Really, on my list for one of the top Doom Metal releases of 2006. Awesome stuff all the way around, and in no way resembles the typical Sabbath cookie-cutter approach we are (all) too familiar with.

I've had one of their albums laying around for the past few years, but I've never actually listened to it more than a couple times. I'll have to find it again.