hey guitardists

xfer

I JERK OFF TO ARCTOPUS
Nov 8, 2001
New York City
www.geocities.com
What do you think of this stuff?

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/ptech/05/04/digital.guitar.ap/index.html

NASHVILLE, Tennessee (AP) -- As Gibson Guitar Corp. launches a new digital model, company CEO Henry Juszkiewicz can close his eyes and almost hear the music.

"The defining moment will be when a certain lick in a popular song is out there, and it can't be done with anything else but a digital guitar," Juszkiewicz says. "It only takes one example to really inspire people."

That, Juszkiewicz hopes, will usher in the age of the digital guitar -- much the same way as the Beatles and Rolling Stones inspired a generation of young people to pick up a standard electric guitar in the 1960s.

"It opens a whole new palette of possibilities," Juszkiewicz says. "It's a little bit like hearing stereo as opposed to mono."

Juszkiewicz knows guitars. A Harvard MBA who played in garage rock bands, he bought Gibson with two buddies for $5 million when it was struggling in 1986 and built it into a company with annual sales of $250 million in 2001. At one point, Gibson had fewer than 60 employees. Today, Juszkiewicz says it has 3,000 worldwide.

In the waiting room of his office at Gibson's Nashville headquarters, the walls are lined with guitars and photos of Sting, Neil Diamond, BB King, Madonna, Hank Williams Jr. and Brooks & Dunn. His secretary answers the telephone wearing dark lingerie and black boots.

The advantages of the digital guitar come down to sound and control. For 70 years, the electric guitar pickup has translated string vibrations into an electrical signal fed to an amplifier. The player can control the tone and volume, but output is limited to a mono or stereo signal. The signal itself is noisy by today's standards, and stray frequencies often cause an annoying hum.

"Some of the guitar pickups popular today go back to the 1920s," Juszkiewicz said. "We have not changed a lot in terms of the instrument."

'It's like having a mini recording studio'

The digital guitar uses computer chips to clean up the signal -- Juszkiewicz describes the new sound as traditional but "on steroids."

It also allows the player to control the sound of each string. For example, the guitarist can have a heavy metal crunch on the low strings, medium distortion on the middle strings and a clean sound on the high strings.

vert.digital.guitar.ap.jpg
The digital guitar uses computer chips to clean up the signal and allows the player to control the sound of each string.​
1.gif

"You'll be able to record all these different sounds and textures. It's unbelievable, I think," said Dave Cleveland, a Nashville session guitarist who planned to buy one of the new instruments. "It's going to revolutionize the whole recording part of guitar playing."

Cleveland said technology already exists to do some of the same things as the digital guitar, but it's bulky, inconvenient and limited.

"With this, you're getting the sound of the pickups and can run analog into a regular guitar amp, plus you can monitor everything through the guitar. It's like having a mini recording studio," he said.

But some question whether guitar players, by and large a picky lot who are attached to their vintage amplifiers and instruments, will want the bells and whistles.

"I agree that there are certain things it can do," said George Gruhn, owner of Gruhn Guitars in Nashville. "But what it comes down to is people want an electric guitar for soul. I don't see it taking over the world.

"The best sound comes from a traditional magnetic pickup played through an old-style tube amp," Gruhn added. "All of the newfangled stuff doesn't give the tonality that guitar players are looking for."

Traditionally, Gibson has catered to the upper end of the guitar market, though it offers more moderately priced instruments than it used to. The company's most popular guitar, the Les Paul, retails at about $1,300. The digital guitar will cost $1,000 to $1,500 more than a standard model.

Juszkiewicz acknowledges consumers might be resistant at first, but he predicts that will change in the same way CDs replaced vinyl records and DVDs replaced VCR tapes.

Gibson's engineers worked hard, he said, to make the digital guitar look and feel the same as a traditional guitar and be compatible with standard equipment.

"We want to make sure they have everything they're comfortable with, he said, "but in addition to that they have the digital stuff."

i mean, maybe it'll be like DVD players and the like--at first only wealthy wealthies will be able to afford it, but soon it will be widespread and almost as cheap as the alternative.

well eric pricing it above a $1300 les paul probably makes it more like PRS kind of money.

i mean i understand them wanting to clean up sounds a bit but i always thought those slight noises that guitars have are part of their charm? i mean i understand some are very annoying and can be problematic but its been my experience dealing with gear that is "noiseless" that it loses ALOT of tone and character.

maybe i am a traditionalist? either way like i said i want to play one of these things before i decry it as being terrible.

Gibson's quality : price ratio has gone downhill in recent years (the last 30?) in my opinion. the prices keep going up, but the quality goes down. there's no reason a standard les paul should cost close to $2000- the only Les Pauls i know of that cost $1300 are the studio ones, which are not worth that much. $2500 for a PRS is one thing- they're worth a big amount, but to get a decent Gibson, you have to shell out that much anyway. you're totally just paying for the name any more. those LPStudios used to be like $600, which was a more suitable price.

i sound like a jilted lover. i mean i do own a gibson explorer, and it's a good instrument. i just think they way, way overprice the les pauls. they're still decent, just not as good as they were, and the prices keep going up.

people should buy heritage guitars.

I don't even care for transistor amps all that much, so I don't think I like this.

"The best sound comes from a traditional magnetic pickup played through an old-style tube amp," Gruhn added.
Just add some strings and a fretboard to the mix, and I fully agree.

yes.

two people i played with last year went out and searched for similar amps after hearing my Panaramic (made by Magnatone) from like 1961. i think my dad gave $27 for it at an auction, and one of the guys ended up paying around $450 for something similar.
it's definitely all tube, even pitch-bending tube vibrato.

Next thing you know, guitars will have artificial intelligence and will do your household chores. Then a really smart one will be made and it'll become the navigation officer of the Starship Enterprise, but it still won't know the feeling of true emotions or real analog tone.

Really though, sounds interesting, but I'm a tad worried about the tone. For that much money, they better have some good sounding crap in there.