Hey Neil... Mac question

kleo706

Dec 21, 2001
Hey. We're going from a Windows XP (home service pack 2) box to one of those 20" flat screen G5 IMacs. Since you're one of those mac uber-nerds, I had a few questions for you.
For day to day productivity (word processing, web browsing, email, graphics etc.) what software do you suggest?
Also, in terms of third party gadgets (USB haubs, two button mice, etc.) is there an obscenely horrid manufacturer we ought to avoid?
Is 256meg of RAM enough if the most advanced function we'll be performing is basic graphic manipulation?
How is support for classic under Tiger?

Sorry to be a bother. It's been years since I had a mac desktop.

I'm not Neil but this is what I use on my G5.....

Word Processing - Microsoft Word, there's also Apple Works which has Word Processing, Or Corel Word Perfect and the old staple free TextEdit

Also check out Neo Office It's an open-source FREE spoof of Microsoft Office Products and completely compatible with Microsoft Products. Including word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, vector drawing, database, and macro functionality.

Web browsing- Safari or Firefox

E-mail- I usually use webbased like Gmail or Hotmail. For POP3 Programs though I use Thunderbird, from the makers of Firefox

Graphics... Adobe Photoshop

I use a one button mouse as I got so used to Control Clicking things. Or I use a trackball.

256MB? Photoshop reccomends 384MB of RAM. I've never bought a computer with less than 512MB so i guess it really depends on what programs you're going to use.

Yeah. I kinda yelled at the guy selling it to me and now have 750+/- in the unit.

With the mouse thing, I'm good to swap from an Apple //e with a rather unique mouse to an Ibook to a windows box in the same day. Still it's probably a good idea to try the USB-based optical at first. My wife's never really used a Mac for productive purposes so the fewer dramatic differences, the better.