Hey Neil who are YOUR favourite producers/sound engineers?

>>>>I would also add Mutt Lange to this list.

Mutt Lange? From what I recall, he produced the killer Hysteria. Has anyone noticed "a few" Leppard vibes in Shania Twain's songs?

Well considering Mutt co-wrote all of Pyromania and Hysteria AND Shania's albums (and produced them all as well) I think it should probably come as no surprise that there are some strong similarities. Same goes for his work with Bryan Adams and Michael Bolton in the 90s too...

Neil K.

Right, especially Adrenalize. When listened to a song on this album, a friend of mine (not into metal) was convinced that it was a Bryan Adams song.

I don't know if you are aware of a European producer, Peter Tagtgren. He used to run (I really don't know if he's doing it anymore) the Abyss studio. He's also in Hypocrisy. He produced great albums, but apparently he quit as he was accused that all the albums he produced sound the same, and they are not distinctive enough. From my point of view, this is true, but it doesn't bother me, as they are great albums, and I really like his production style.
On the other hand, you seem to avoid this, I mean I don't have so many of the albums you produced, but from my point of view the ones I have (RFO, Nevermore, Novembers Doom, etc. especially the heavier side...) definitely do not have the same sound. So you are like a sophisticated producer :). Anyway, I'm really curious how do you see this matter, because as I've already said, many people consider that great albums lost their touch because of the same Abyss production style.

Hi Andi,

Yes I definitely try to avoid making albums sound too similar to each other. It would be extremely easy for me to do things the same way all the time - same studio, same mics, same drumkit, same amps etc. but I don't enjoy that approach very much at all. I prefer to mould myself to the project rather than have it mould to me. I also like to work with lots of different types of music, ranging from pop to jazz to metal etc. That keeps my mind fresh and my enthusiasm very high. That's the most important thing - to really love the music you're working on, and I will not produce anything that I'm not into 100%.

Neil K.

i was listening to some records the other day comparing mixes and its hard to say how much mastering plays into all this but i noticed generally speaking that neils records sound just generally higher fidelity then others. wider, sorta larger. i dunno.