hey xfer or anyone for that matter

I think it's awesome!

Yesterday, I sent that story to a group of my conservative friends with the comment:

"If God himself came down from Heaven with a pair of tablets upon which was engraved 'BUSH'S FOREIGN POLICY FUCKING SUCKS', you would still call it 'brilliant'."

The sad truth is that Bush is even a bad conservative. His only real supporters at this point are knee-jerk Republicans who would support a GOP child molestor over a Democrat. And the people they have successfully fooled.

Ron Reagan Jr.: "...my father crapped bigger ones than George Bush." Also, at the 2000 GOP convention: "The big elephant sitting in the corner is that George W. Bush is simply unqualified for the job... what's his accomplishment? That he's no longer an obnoxious drunk?" These and more observations by Ron Jr. from an April 2003 interview recently reposted by Salon

what i would like to know is, how big does a hoopla have to get in order for it to make the front page of cnn.com?

i think that sounds either naive or jokey but for real. after all of this time (alive), i still can't figure out what rattles the system and/or urges major media to break poker face and comment on dissension.

i've seen it happen. but i don't understand the catalysts. unless personal policies of individual editors swing wildly from shift to shift

This should make the front page later today, I think.

I think about that a lot, too, Nick. I don't think it's as easy as saying "This is a center-right news source" or "This paper is owned by Time Warner" or something like that, either...I think that the people who make the decisions look at the fabric of reportage in general, incorporating other people, and see where everyone else is putting the story, and then decide if they want to deviate from the norm a bit on the "more" or "less" publicization axis. And I think they incorporate "buzz" to determine what people want to read, which includes what people are talking about on the internet! (blogs, messageboards, chat rooms, etc) I think a lot of the determinant of a successful news editor person is how well they can read the public and other media sources in their decision where to put stuff.

So, yeah, I think it's important to discuss politics with your friends, and online, and calling in to radio shows--because if a lot of people are talking about (X), it's less likely to get buried!

if it does make the paper today, it's going to be a little one-two punch coupled w/ the morning headlines.

i can see all of your points. i have to think about them a little more. i don't doubt that the big orgs have a branch of people sitting around monitoring blogs.

having worked in a (small) newsroom, I can confirm that most of what Alex says is true. for the most part, they try to publish what people want to read/see, not necessarily what the 'most important' story is. that's not what sells papers, as they say.

I don't think this is what you intended me to get out of it, but what the fuck kind of headline is that? Paving over the 9-11 commission report in favor of a huge picture of Bush rallying the troops?!

I guess I ought to visit Fox News more.

local news site: (paper owned by hearst):

"9/11 panel says Iraq rebuffed bin Laden"

no one north of poughkeepsie can interpret "rebuffed" as anything other than a gentleman's club byline