Hi folks! Please rate my mix for "The Quickening" (Heavy/Thrash Metal)

elyptic

May 6, 2009
Toronto
www.tritonmusic.ca
Hi everyone, I've been lurking on here for a few months time and thought I'd finally submit a mix for you to critique. This is for our (Triton's) official demo, please let me know where you think I can improve on this mix, to get it up to broadcast / submission quality.

I also just reamped all the guitars as I was using a PODXT Live before and they seemed a bit flat/lifeless for me. Now I'm using the (now infamous) SoloC/8505/Boogex combo and definitely like it better :) It's a lot harder to track when you can't hear what you're playing though! I've been recording this direct and only get to hear it with distortion once I play it back ;)

I'm posting two versions, one without my current favorite mastering curve and one with a curve grabbed from a DevilDriver tune :) I'm tracking this in Vegas 6.0 and it's impossible to hear the quad-tracked guitars all at once in the mix in real time (even though I have a quad-core Phenom II!) so I rendered them out and uploaded them.

I've set up an eSnips account and here are the tracks! Thanks to any and all that reply.

Mastered

Unmastered

-Chris

Edit: eSnips won't let me upload for some reason so I had to sign up with Soundclick instead

May 20 : Remixed and mastered here!

Hey thanks guys for your support! I took your collective advice and adjusted the snare, and while I was in there I adjusted the kick and added the 22" ride. I definitely like how the instruments are sitting now, the bass has some breathing room and the low mids are more musical. Thanks for the tips and I'm really glad you guys dig the track too! =)

More to come of course, once I get settled on how the overall sound is going to shape up. I'll put the link here and update the original post too.

cool guitar sound, but i think the vocals should be a little louder and more ''in four face'' :)
overall - cool song man!

OK the new remix is up so please have a fresh listen to the track! I think with the new kit, everything has found a better place in the mix (including the vocals, thanks DeathDonor!) so overall I'm much happier with this one.

Hope you guys dig this one too, even more so hopefully hehe :)