High E string breakage when popping

ceco

New Metal Member
May 4, 2006
Italy
www.lowprofile1.com
Hi Chris,
first of all let me say I just saw a couple of your videos and I'm ashamed it took me so long to discover such a tremendous player!

I've been experimenting with slap tecnique lately but I'm annoyed by frequent breakage of my high E string as I pop it. Have you ever experienced the same problem?
Has it something to do with the way I pop (I do it in a "wild/bassist kind of way" while I've seen in your video you seem to do it with more of a "fingerstyle" approach) or has it something to do with hardware (bridge, saddles, strings.. I now there are "string saver" saddles out there and things like that, should I check'em out)?

I use an Ibanez baritone guitar (Ibanez MMM) tuned down 4 steps (so my high E is actually an high B) with 070-011 gauge

thank you so much

Chris is on tour with Nevermore right now, so it might be a month or so before he can actually answer. Anyone else know?

eaeolian said:
An .11 under that tension should be fine. You're probably just popping it too hard - plain strings like that are really easy to pull until you break them.

Yep. You don't need to yank on them. Just pop them a bit. Also, clean your guitar before you put your string(s) on next time. Your string might be rubbing against dirt and the nut or saddle that's making it break more easily.