High end Preamps - Driving the Hi-Z input for DI

abt

BT
Aug 1, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I've heard a few DIs that sound great recorded through the Hi-Z instrument input on high end (such as an API 512) pre-amps, channel strips, etc. My question is, is anyone really driving a preamp hard to capture DIs?

Do you go for that colored sound or keep it as transparent as possible? Or somewhere in between?

I've always tried to get the most transparent sound I can, but I have a suspicion that there's some people adding color to the DIs that makes a big difference at the end result. Something you can't add back in later.

I normally track my DIs with a B12A (Api Clone) and I like to have the gain as low as possible!
For passive PUs I also prefer the Hi-Z instrument input over DI-Box into the mic-in.

^ What's the clone like? Pretty close to the real thing? You probably wouldn't want to push it too hard, if I recall the gain on those things is massive.

I think one should aim for the most uncolored option. Signal is going to be distorted to hell and back, so pushing it before it even touches the amp is not a great idea.

^ What's the clone like? Pretty close to the real thing? You probably wouldn't want to push it too hard, if I recall the gain on those things is massive.

I dont own the real thing, but I heard comparison clips which were really close!
The BLA has a little boost in the low end, though.
But stay clean as possible, is the best way for me...

http://www.blacklionaudio.com/content.php?p=48

I dont own the real thing, but I heard comparison clips which were really close!
The BLA has a little boost in the low end, though.
But stay clean as possible, is the best way for me...

http://www.blacklionaudio.com/content.php?p=48

Wow that's a lot cheaper than the real thing. I've been lusting after 500 series API gear myself. Too expensive for me. I want a radial workhorse then build from there. One day.

Thanks for your replies, I'm obsessed with DIs at the moment. I probably shouldn't have emphasized the driving of a preamp so much in the original post I more interested if people are going after a bit of color.