High/low pass slope ?

Williamn

Aug 4, 2009
Ireland - Denmark
Ello.

I always see people talking about high and low passing but never stating what kinda slope they use.

So what is your standard slope when you are high passing OH, Guitars, whatever ?

I use 12 decibel and 24 decibel slopes mostly.

Depends on how it sounds, really. If you've got a nice, ugly hump in your sub freqs and want to retain a fundamental note on, say a Bass, drop a chebyshev at 48 dB (I think) in front of your target zone. Or you could drop it at 12, doesn't matter really. The slope directly affects the amount of headroom after the fact. OH's, I like a low slope value. No real justification behind it, excpet more sound maybe, I just like it. Guitars, maybe a bit harder.

Yeah I agree it of course depends on what you are going for
But what im interrested is, is when people say "oh I always high pass the guitars at 90hz", what kinda slope do they actual then use :)

I prefer using softer slopes (6-12db) in co-ordination with sharp cuts in eq.

Yeah I agree it of course depends on what you are going for
But what im interrested is, is when people say "oh I always high pass the guitars at 90hz", what kinda slope do they actual then use :)

That would probably depend on the EQ they're using. I know iZotope's Alloy has two kinds of HP, HP and Sharp HP. I would wager their slopes are are around 12 to 36 respectively. Other eq's I use tend to have very adjustable Q's and some not at all. A really versatile eq when it comes to slopes that I've found is Electri-Q, which has literally dozens of choices. But I bought alloy, and it does what I need it to.

Sharp HP @ or around 90 over here!

6, 12, or 18 almost always. I usualy use eQuality for my filtering and it gives me any option *I* personally need..... =D

anything above that sounds too unnatural most of the time..

I stick to 12 for the most part (or a 'q' of 2). Don't like to go any higher personally because my passes to be more gradual, to my ears it keeps the mids from getting harsh with low passes and keeps mixes from being too lackluster in the bass unless the bass. Lower slope passes seem to sound more natural but too low and they don't shape the sound enough and to me 12 seems to be the balance point.

What's the slop for Waves Q# (2,4,10, etc)? It is not adjustable, nor is the gain.

It doesn't say in the manual, but from the pics it looks like it's 12dB per octave.

The gain isn't adjustable because the gain setting doesn't apply to high/low pass filters (gain reduction is determined by the slope/Q of the filter).

^ exactly, the gain in a filter is set to -infinity and the gain reduction is the combination of the slope, in this case in a simple effect filter like Waves Q, the Slope, and Gain Reduction are fixed, you are just setting the resonant frequency of the filter.

It really depends. When I HP vocals, guitars and such to clean things up and to make sure there isn't any unnecessary stuff in the signal, I usually use a steeper slope, 18dB/oct or more. On guitar LP I usually end up with 12dB/oct. For OH HP, it's usually 6dB/oct at 500-1000Hz.

It's really easy and quick to try what kind of slope works in that particular situation. Just scan through them, and either it makes so little difference you can just settle on the one that seems the most logical choice, or then the right slope is really obvious.

It doesn't say in the manual, but from the pics it looks like it's 12dB per octave.

The gain isn't adjustable because the gain setting doesn't apply to high/low pass filters (gain reduction is determined by the slope/Q of the filter).
If I recall correctly, when I tried the Equalizer demo I could adjust the gain, not sure what it actually did though as it didn't make any sense to me :/