Use of High and Low Pass

The stock EQ in Cubase for example doesn't have a very steep curve. Thats fine to highpass from ~100 Hz upwards but it doesn't do much if you really wanna cut of everything below 40...That's why I'm asking.

I'm pretty sure if you adjust the Q with a HP or LP it will adjust the steepness.

EDIT: If you use the Studio EQ in Cubase you can udjust how steep by using the q control.

I'll high and low pass whatever.
Guitars are usually missing low and high end.

When ever I high and low pass my guitar tracks, it leaves them sounding like they are dull, and like they are coming out of a shit practise amp! Am I doing something wrong? I use ReaEQ in Reaper. I like using the high pass to get rid of fizz and shit, but its just making the sound shit :(

When ever I high and low pass my guitar tracks, it leaves them sounding like they are dull, and like they are coming out of a shit practise amp! Am I doing something wrong? I use ReaEQ in Reaper. I like using the high pass to get rid of fizz and shit, but its just making the sound shit :(

Sounds like you're using too low a frequency for the high pass filter dude.
I set mine at no lower than 10Khz. At 10KHz, it doesn't drastically alter the tone, it just removes a bit of the really unnecessary air and fizz from the tone)
You need a little bit of the "air" frequencies of guitars that exist around 7KHz upwards to get a professional vibe to your guitars, but the key is not having too much of these frequencies and of course too little is dangerous too.
While I'm no pro at this, I've got to the stage where I can hear that stuff happening in guitar tones.
Some guitar tones, like End of Heartache by Killswitch Engage and Colors by Between the Buried and Me have just enough air not to sound muffled, but they sound quite smooth and rolled off in the high end compared to say, This Godless Endeavor by Nevermore or Around the Fur by Deftones.
It's just a matter of finding what works for the mix and what suits your ear really.
Personally I prefer the Colors/End of Heartache approach for most stuff, unless it's really aggressive, which is why that extra high end works for This Godless Endeavor, because aesthetically and musically it's just such a dark and aggressive piece of music

Which plugin do you use to HP? How steep?

I've been using the MixControl channel strip from TeamDNR on all my tracks since I bought it late last year. It has such a low overhead I toss it on every track in my template and adjust as needed. It really is a great channel strip for these types of things.

Sounds like you're using too low a frequency for the high pass filter dude.
I set mine at no lower than 10Khz. At 10KHz, it doesn't drastically alter the tone, it just removes a bit of the really unnecessary air and fizz from the tone)
You need a little bit of the "air" frequencies of guitars that exist around 7KHz upwards to get a professional vibe to your guitars, but the key is not having too much of these frequencies and of course too little is dangerous too.
While I'm no pro at this, I've got to the stage where I can hear that stuff happening in guitar tones.
Some guitar tones, like End of Heartache by Killswitch Engage and Colors by Between the Buried and Me have just enough air not to sound muffled, but they sound quite smooth and rolled off in the high end compared to say, This Godless Endeavor by Nevermore or Around the Fur by Deftones.
It's just a matter of finding what works for the mix and what suits your ear really.
Personally I prefer the Colors/End of Heartache approach for most stuff, unless it's really aggressive, which is why that extra high end works for This Godless Endeavor, because aesthetically and musically it's just such a dark and aggressive piece of music

Thanks dude! I'll test it out set lower later today.

I get the same thing sometimes even when I LP at 10k Hz. I think it's just a matter of setting the amp bright enough so that you can do this to get rid of the fizz without having an adverse effect on the sound after the LP.