Rodrigo

Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
High On Fire – Blessed Black Wings
Relapse Records – RR6620-2 – February 5, 2005
By Rodrigo Escandon

blessed_blkwings.jpg

In all honesty, I didn’t think much of High on Fire. Somewhere in my collection I had Surrounded by Thieves but I rarely listened to that album. For whatever reason this band’s music just didn’t appeal to me. However, in the beginning of this year High on Fire toured prior to the release of Blessed Black Wings and I went along with some friends to check them out at the Knitting Factory in Hollywood. I guess High on Fire’s music finally clicked with me that night because that is still one of my favorite shows of the year. As soon as Blessed Black Wings came out I immediately bought it and ever since I have been hooked to the band’s thick, heavy and aggressive brand of stoner rock.

One of my favorite songs is the energetic “Devilution”. This is a great rocker that starts off with some great solo drum work for the first 30 seconds before the guitars and bass jump in to keep up the up-tempo pace. “Cometh down Hessian” showcases this same up-tempo pace but not before the slow introduction guitar passage creates a menacing feeling. The last 1:50 instrumental part of this song is one of my favorite sections of the entire album due to Des’s powerful drumming and some excellent guitar riffing by Mike. Of note would be the riff that he plays at 4:42, I just always look forward to hearing this riff, and how I just always find myself head banging along to it. “The Face of Oblivion” has a more deliberate slow pace and the drumming and guitar riffing are excellent. I especially enjoy the fact that about 4:00 minutes into the song a distorted guitar melody line is played that totally changes the direction of the song for the remaining 2:36. The title track is the longest song of the album and it’s simply a grand musical statement with the hypnotic chant of the title, the sheer power of the band’s playing and the frantic fast paced section that starts at 5:57. “To Cross the Bridge” is another favorite of mine with the beginning that goes back and forth with a clean guitar melody line and pounding drums coupled with heavy riffing. The main verses of the song follow a plodding and immense pace, especially when Matt is singing, but it does include a very energetic solo at 5:09 that is one of the best in the album.

About the only weakness that I could find with Blessed Black Wings would be the fact that the bass is barely audible in the mix but then again that may take away from the sound of the drums and guitar, which are clearly the focus of the mix. Otherwise the production done by Steve Albini is fantastic and I especially like how Matt’s singing sounds more raw than in Surrounded by Thieves.

I have found myself using the word “powerful” a few times or at least thought of this word throughout this review and I guess that is one word that you can take away to describe Blessed Black Wings. This is a fantastic album that has a huge and immense sound that fits perfectly with what the band is all about.

9/10

Relapse Records Official Website
High On Fire Official Website

Why'd it take so long for this monster to get reviewed?:err:

Personally, I love each and every one of HOF's efforts. I do not see this as drastically different from "Surrounded by Thieves" or "The Art of Self-Defense". It sounds cleaner yet still dirty at the same time, if that makes any sense.

High On Fire is one of the best pure metal bands out there right now.

An almost perfect album of heavy metal art. Motorhead+Venom+Celtic Frost+ Black Sabbath = and the miracle is done.
But you have to listen to "Surrounded By Thieves" again, its impossible not to like it since you enjoyed "Blessed Black Wings" that much. Its just more epic but of the same musical quality.

@ Dr: I am playing catch up with a bunch of releases that haven't been reviewed on the site.

@ IOfTheStorm: Your right I need to give Surrounded by Thieves more listens.

This is a great album, I could see them being a little more diverse in their delivery but for what it is, it's ace.