High on Fire last night...

Jasonic

Doom On!
Apr 14, 2004
West Burbs of Chicago
I am sure this thread will appeal to only a few folks here, but High on Fire slayed last night at the Wicker Park Fest.

This was the first time I have seen them
(Though I would not be surprised if I have seen them at somewhere like Milwaukee Metalfest and just don't remember).

They ripped through a blazing one hour set.

VERY interesting crowd, as it was smack in the middle of Hipster Central (Aka the corner of North, Milwaukee, and Damen).

Oh, and BTW, for those of you previously who stated anything positive about RUSSIAN CIRCLES.....I have to disagree. 100% emo bullshit being marketed as metal.

Yep, my first time seeing High on Fire and they certainly
kicked ass! They remind a lot of Motorhead with the raw/punky
edge which I was digging...good time indeed in hipster central.

Russian Circles was cool, can't say that I'd even mention metal
in the same breathe, but after a few tunes and no lounge chair
to lean back in, I didn't see the need to stand and watch any
longer.

Hey Chris,
I thought I saw you from a distance actually....

The media classifies HoF as Motorhead-meets-Slayer.
I am not sure on the Slayer front, but I would say more like Motorhead-meets-Saint Vitus.

Matt Pike plays like a man possessed (ala Mike Scalzi from Slough Feg).

I have seen Russian Circles classified as metal (or art metal, or whatever the new hip term is). Bands like Pelican, etc. Just not my thing. I am not a huge fan of all-instrumental bands.

Who is EITS?

I have seen Russian Circles labeled as metal on some sites.
Just wasn't my cup of tea.
Reminds me of a million bands I used to see down in Champaign IL when I was in college at the beginning of the emo movement.

Yeah, as Chris said, maybe with a snooty drink in hand sitting on a plush couch or something, it works well.

I just don't like music that makes you feel like you aren't cool enough for the room.

Thank god High on Fire killed that mood quickly!

Explosions in the Sky

Never heard of them.....
Are they from Chicago?

It's weird. I never even heard of PELICAN until they became popular, and they are from Chicago.

It seems like for most genres, the bands that "make it" if you will are the ones who aren't ever part of the scene, and just do their own thing.

I missed it, mainly cause High on Fire was the only band I cared about there. Didn't seem worth the drive.

Yeah, if I had ever seen HoF before, I probably would have skipped it as well.
I used it as a good opportunity to meet up with a friend of mine who lives in the city, and also to check out the Wicker Park Reckless (Which unfortunately turned out to be a bust....)

They are playing the Double Door in October.

I missed it because I was at Crossroads Guitar Festival on Sat. instead and everyone was too tired to go. :p I kinda wish I had been there, though.

Here's a couple crappy cell phone pics:
hof2.jpg

hof1.jpg