High Pass Filter & Low tuned guitars

Deus.exe

BBQ!!!
Dec 23, 2005
Cologne, Germany
www.myspace.com
As I was posting this chart in another thread I got thinking at what frequency should I put a high pass filter for guitars tuned to B?
I remember reading here a lot of you guys filter everything at approx. under 80Hz. Am I right in thinking that this would filter out the fundamental for a B tuned guitar (62 Hz)? Should should I set the HPF to 62Hz and leave the fundamental or cut it out?

Cheers

don't worry about cutting the fundamental. a guitar in standard tuning has the fundamental for E at roughly 80hz, yet even in standard guitars often get high-passed to 100hz, if not more

i would just start at 40hz, and work your way up until you clear up the mud without losing the balls

I think bass would be at 62hz, but a guitar tuned to B is at 124hz...

Based on that chart and what I've heard from other engineers, I disagree.

With guitars, they have enough of their upper harmonics to allow you to high pass beyond their fundamental and still have it sound low/ heavy. Just don't go too far beyond so that you're not cutting out too much of the second harmonic.

the low B on a guitar is 62Hz, on a bass it's 32 hz.
but yes, you don't really need those fundamentals on a guitar, that low end is pretty muddy anyway.

Guys, if it helps you make sense of what notes are where...

A440 is the fifth fret of the top string of a standard-tuned guitar.

A110 is the standard-tuned A string.

A55 is the low string of a seven-string guitar tuned down a whole step, or the standard-tuned A string on a bass guitar. A guitar tuned to B sits just above this, at about 62Hz.

Jeff

Wait, you're saying A440 is the 5th fret on the high e-string? I would think that note would be 880 or even 1760 Hz...

Haha, easy dude, neither of the above - I just always thought of the 5th fret high e-string "A" as a pretty high pitch, and seeing as how 440 Hz is not exactly up there, I was surprised

440 is pretty up there, but the extra harmonics on the guitar (and the movement of the string itself) tend to make it sound higher than it actually is. Maybe thinking of it as the fifth-fret harmonic of the 'standard' A string will make more sense...

Jeff