HIRAM demo song

KnifeVariable

quite a douchebag
Dec 18, 2005
Slovenia
We've finally finished our first recording attempt (actually second, but the first one was not satisfactory! :puke: ). It lasted a whole 6 days and was recorded in our rehearsal garage (very, VERY small) on my modest setup. I can give all details and pictures if there's interest.
Give it a spin, I could use some fresh ears for this one. :headbang:

http://neksus.org/tmp/hiram-vz.mp3 (Last update: 2006-11-09)

edit
Equipment list:
p4 3Ghz laptop w/ firepod

Drums:
Yamaha Absolute Custom (or somesuch) with UFIP and Zildijan cymbals + UHAN china (32EUR, no kidding, a piece of work haha)
D112 kick, 1x57 snare, 2x57 + 1x58 toms, 2xNT5 overheads, 1xSP B1 hihat

Kick and toms needed to be replaced as they were hopeless - mea culpa.

Guitar:
some Jackson with SH4 Seymour
Ibanez tube screamer
Single Rect-o-verb with extremely low gain (at about 10 o'clock) - 4 tracks + 2 tracks PODxt w/ my higain patch
shitty Crate cab
all guitar harmonies were PODxt with the Raidfest patch (from MKS' server)

Bass:
some Warwick bass
Ampeg SVT-5 Pro
SWR cab

Vocals:
SP B1
/edit

PS
Ok, I'm the singer, but having the vocals very present in the mix was not my idea.

PPS
No, it's not in english :loco:

PPPS
Yes, some parts are a bit... wobbly ;)

The guitar tone is great and the bass is nice as well. I'd bring the drums more to the front. The mix seems a little muddy to me but overall I like it pretty much. Your music is cool, too.

^ I agree completely, but I think I'd like to bring the guitars up a bit more and boost the high mids. They sounds like they're fading away when the vocals cut in. Then again, it could be these crappy speakers I have to listen to at work.

Non-production related, the song is really well written (aside from the lyrics that I can't interpret). I'm really digging the verse riff.

:kickass:

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys! I thought the drums could use more presence too, but was a bit unsure since I've been listening to the song over and over for the past few days and lost the ear for it in the process. The mp3 is now updated with both drums and rhytm guitars' high mids boosted quite a bit.

@doc_backmask: thanks for the thumbs up, The whole song (music and lyrics) is my work except for the solo. Much appreciated!

Also :added a short equipment list to the original post.

Final update:
the MP3 in the original post has been updated - some guitars have been re-recorded, the mix tweaked and mastered in a rather middly-aggressive way.
Aside all flaws we find the end result satisfying enough - for a first time demo it should do fine! :kickass:

Thanks for the replies and/or listening!

Jan/Hiram