History of drum triggering/replacing

dayve

New Metal Member
Sep 5, 2004
Just a general question...

Does anyone know the earliest, or just an early exaple of drum triggering/replacement?

Just wondered if anyone knew when this technique started being used?

Cheers for that.

I was wondering though if anyone knew of one of the first recordings/bands/producers in the metal genre to use drum replacement or triggering?

Damn, I forgot the name of the band.. It was late 80's, I was at school and Atti Bauw was my teacher. He just bought his FairlightII and a Yamaha midikit. At that time he did a metalband in Wisseloord, using the Fairlight for drumreplacement (some $$$ drumreplacer that was!!). Another local producer -Shell Shellekens- worked with 'Ted'triggers, very lofi but great if mixed with the original snaresound.

Mulder said:
Damn, I forgot the name of the band.. It was late 80's, I was at school and Atti Bauw was my teacher. He just bought his FairlightII and a Yamaha midikit. At that time he did a metalband in Wisseloord, using the Fairlight for drumreplacement (some $$$ drumreplacer that was!!). Another local producer -Shell Shellekens- worked with 'Ted'triggers, very lofi but great if mixed with the original snaresound.

Attie worked at a lot of productions with his Fairlight.
Rob Halfords War of words? It sounded odd to me for that time, very clean.

Scott Burns got famous by his sampled kicks!!

Mulder said:
Another local producer -Shell Shellekens- worked with 'Ted'triggers, very lofi but great if mixed with the original snaresound.

Shell Shellekens, yeah! (Golden Earring?) Back in the old days dude.
I still like a John Solleveld. He made some great recording without samples!!

I don't know about replacer, but Def Leps "behind the music" said Pyro was a machine (it sounds like it). Ratt's first one had fake toms. Lot's of 80's stuff really, but I don't know if it was post production or not, just know what the final product sounds like.

Igor Cavalera of Sepultura, or now ex-Sepultura, used triggers during the Chaos AD period if I remember correctly.