Triggering/electronic drums and general metal drum production.

Hello there, I am currently studying for a degree in recording arts and I am currently researching for my thesis. My subject is

The evolution of drum production with specific reference to Rock and metal music.

I was just wondering if there are any good books or websites whereby I can find out about the different production methods for the drums in rock/metal for example...

Using triggers
Electronic drum kits/pads
Sound replacer (Pro Tools)
Different mic placements, which set out to create specific artistic vision
Different mixing methods to create artistic vision

Also I would like to find out about the different trends in the drum recording aspect in metal. For example the early 90's Scott Burns drum production - no mids, or the full on in your face drum production which Mr Sneap is so great at creating.

I would love to know if there are any sources which can help me to find out this kind of information and would be extremely grateful if any of you guys could lead me into the right direction.

Also just out of interest, what are your guys opinions on drum triggering/electronic drums for live or studio use?

Do you see it as cheating?
Does it take away the human nuences which a drummer gives in a performance?
Does it make recording the drum kit that much more easy and hassle free?

And also I'd like to know what you guys think about Nick Barker of Cradle of Filth/Dimmu Borgir using an electronic drum pad for his snare. Do you feel this is ok?

Cheers guys. Dan.

nick uses a real snare.. i know, i've recorded him recently... it does have a trigger on it, like most metal and rock guys these days

didnt nick use a pad for the dimmu stuff? he is on the vids i have, its the roland pad. i know he didnt for lock up or cradle though.

performance wise i dont think triggers are cheating, dynamically it could be called cheating, but then we would have to call all our compressed tracks cheating i suppose. for metal i think we do kind of want to lose some of that human element and make things larger than life and machine like, right?

Fyhed said:
Also just out of interest, what are your guys opinions on drum triggering/electronic drums for live or studio use?

Do you see it as cheating?
Does it take away the human nuences which a drummer gives in a performance?
Does it make recording the drum kit that much more easy and hassle free?

I see triggers as a helpful, but often overused tool.
I really don't like hearing totally artificial drum sounds and I often think to myself "gosh, it sounds like programmed drums with a live drummer playing cymbals only", cause the cymbals are the only part of the drumset that sound live to me. But I suppose that it's really hard for an acoustic sound to cut through the mix in some of the heaviest productions and that's where the triggers save the day.
For example, some of my fav drum productions have been done in Morrisound by Jim Morris, so crisp, clear and natural sounding. If he did use triggers, he used them just enough not to ruin the natural acoustic sound of the kit.

And also I'd like to know what you guys think about Nick Barker of Cradle of Filth/Dimmu Borgir using an electronic drum pad for his snare. Do you feel this is ok?

Dunno about Dimmu, but I really hate the drum sound (sound? :tickled: ) on COF's Cruelty And The Beast, it sounds he's been hitting nylon bags from a grocery store instead of drums. So thin and artificial... :ill:

Triggerring isn't necessarily so bad, but I think a good mix can be found by recording a second set of drumtracks naturally, and blending it with an initial set of triggered drum tracks. It won't sound quite as "fake" that way...

Thanks for all your replies, much appreciated!

Are there any good books or journals on this sort of stuff?

Aside from that, The debut "DAM" album "Purity: the darwinian paradox" is a great sounding record.

The whole drum sound is acoustic which I personally really like, the band sounds like a live band and not like a futuristic machine.

You guys should check this band out cos their stuff is superb.

The album comes out on Candelight records on 31st May.

SickBoy said:
I see triggers as a helpful, but often overused tool.
I really don't like hearing totally artificial drum sounds and I often think to myself "gosh, it sounds like programmed drums with a live drummer playing cymbals only", cause the cymbals are the only part of the drumset that sound live to me. But I suppose that it's really hard for an acoustic sound to cut through the mix in some of the heaviest productions and that's where the triggers save the day.
For example, some of my fav drum productions have been done in Morrisound by Jim Morris, so crisp, clear and natural sounding. If he did use triggers, he used them just enough not to ruin the natural acoustic sound of the kit.

Dunno about Dimmu, but I really hate the drum sound (sound? :tickled: ) on COF's Cruelty And The Beast, it sounds he's been hitting nylon bags from a grocery store instead of drums. So thin and artificial... :ill:

two thumbs up on jim morris' stuff! i absolutely love his drums sounds. great studio, great gear, great engineer. even though i'm not a huge fan of the overall direction, the new jag panzer sounds fan-fucking-tastic. jim did it from what ive heard.

figures

Mixing triggered sounds with natural sound is a good solution in some case... Especially talking about the Kick drum. You can use natural Low end and triggered attack...