Recent(ish) metal albums with either bad use of Drum Samples/Triggering, or NONE.

I've always detested the drum sound on this album

Anyone got any details on it? Kick is clearly a one-hit jobby, super un-dynamic, and I'd wager it's the same with the snare. There's a lot of room up in the mix though, but that goddam snare is ear-fatiguing by the time the album is half way through.

Last edited by a moderator:
As i lay dying- frail words collapse has a shifty bass drum and snare but i couldn't imagine the album any other way.

That HAS to be bullshit, surely? :lol: I only say so because they sound so goddam sampled, to the point where it's screamingly obvious. Either I'm thinking of the wrong band or album, or that drummer is inhumanly consistent!

Nah, it's definitely got a lot of natural signal in there, but it does have samples to be sure. Listen to how the kick attack changes pitch from hit-to-hit on the non-double bass stuff.

The new sylosis was all natural drums. Theres a post by Josh on here somewhere saying so.

If this is from the album you're referring to, i'll have to disagree about the natural drums.

I don't see how there is even a doubt about kick being resampled. The snare could be natural, but i'd put money that it isn't. Especially around 3:40.

Also, I could easily be wrong here, but judging by their studio videos for this album, the snare pitch doesn't match up with the snare on the album.

However, whether or not the drums are natural, they still sound great! If they are, then kudos.

I think I found the post that Josh made saying the only samples they used were to reinforce the kick on the new Sylosis stuff. I can't remember... (even though it was only yesterday, lol).

the snare is super dry and all hard hits. Even before i got into recording somethign sounded weird to me about the drums. I love the song though

font know if it was sampled. but i never liked the snare in dream theatre - change of season. really annoying

Pretty sure there are no triggers here:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy6f1bsYyP4&hd=1[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8gApzi5iq8&hd&1[/ame]

Pretty sure there's no samples on these:

[youtube]FROn3LtGFl0&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]BzAGD0z0-P4&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]G9CzRR77z50&feature=related[/youtube]

Some of my favorite drum sounds ever.

If this is from the album you're referring to, i'll have to disagree about the natural drums.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXdPoL1yQsA

I don't see how there is even a doubt about kick being resampled. The snare could be natural, but i'd put money that it isn't. Especially around 3:40.

Also, I could easily be wrong here, but judging by their studio videos for this album, the snare pitch doesn't match up with the snare on the album.

However, whether or not the drums are natural, they still sound great! If they are, then kudos.

The kick is about 50/50 but the snare is pretty much natural as with the toms. There is a long fill in the song Apparitions which we had to keep doing again and again because the snare sounded so triggered just naturally. It's the least dynamic snare you will find - great for metal but sometimes you want dynamics in your fills! 8x14 Yamaha snare that was about 15 years old. We tried about 4 different heads on it too.
I'm not thaaaat fond of the snare sound but we wanted it as natural as possible.
Whenever we do the next album the aim will be for 100% natural kit...no matter what. Rob will probably track with 2 kicks so get better responding compression for faster kicks etc.
One of my fave, recent natural productions and an album we'll no doubt AB with is this

New Charred Walls Of The Damned is all natural, only the kick is replaced. Amazing sound, but that's Richard Christy in a posh studio room \m/

Talking about Richard Christy, I'm pretty sure I read here that The Sound of Perseverance was all natural. Love the roomy snare on it!