Recent(ish) metal albums with either bad use of Drum Samples/Triggering, or NONE.

AdenP

New Metal Member
Jun 28, 2009
Sup, random lurker here.

I have a uni report due in for Friday that's basically about metal production, but anyway:

I've been trying to find recent (last 10 years or so?) albums, preferably somewhat notable (signed bands/"pro studio" productions etc.) - that either haven't used drum samples / triggering at all (or at least kept a natural kick/snare for example)... or have indeed - just done badly.

I haven't had much luck though, so I figured I'd ask here to see if you guys could help out, if you can be arsed :)

I heard that Blackwater Park was o'naturale, but I can't find anything that proves it.

So yeah, can you think of any albums like that?

Cheers

EDIT: Also, apologies if there is already a thread like this. I couldn't find one in the search...

I believe "Nightmare" from Avenged Sevenfold is natural drums?

I might be wrong but I could have sworn I read that here

I'd be surprised if the drums on the new Opeth "Heritage" weren't natural as well

The new All Shall Perish album was all natural except for the kick if I remember correctly

Cheers guys, keep 'em coming!

^ I found the post on here by the dude that seemed to mix the All Shall Perish album, saying exactly what you just said, which'll be good for references/proof in my report etc. - so cheers! Good shout.

In Flames "Reroute to Remain" is mostly natural, a bit of sampling on the snare, that's it.
Blackwater Park is natural for sure. It may have some SLIGHT sample blending, I don't know.
Dream Theater's albums are mostly natural.

What about Behemoth - The Apostasy? Anyone know much about the drums on that?

...Or Daniel Bergstrand in general. Carnival is Forever sounds great IMO, but despite the more 'natural' sound the drums have, I figured he still used samples to some extent. I may be wrong...

Cheers guys, keep 'em coming!

^ I found the post on here by the dude that seemed to mix the All Shall Perish album, saying exactly what you just said, which'll be good for references/proof in my report etc. - so cheers! Good shout.

What times your meeting with Mark tomorrow? :lol:

Mayhem - Ordo Ad Chao

Only the kicks are sampled. I don't know if that's what you were looking for, but it could be an interesting thing to write about, considering how weird the drums sound.
According to Hellhammer the drums were not EQ'd, although I'm not sure exactly how much he was involved in the mixing process.....

The Scattering of Ashes from Into Eternity has one of the worst sounding kick samples I've heard in a long time.

The new sylosis was all natural drums. Theres a post by Josh on here somewhere saying so.

That HAS to be bullshit, surely? :lol: I only say so because they sound so goddam sampled, to the point where it's screamingly obvious. Either I'm thinking of the wrong band or album, or that drummer is inhumanly consistent!

Cheers guys.

^ Just checked out the Svartsot album - Damn! You did a good job on that for all natural drums.