Alternative drum production techniques...

Hello there guys!

My names Daniel and I was wondering if you would be so kind to answer a few questions for my university dissertation/Thesis.

I’m writing about alternative drum production technology as it is raises very interesting arguments.

Thanks in advance

Could you give me a rough estimate as to what percentage of metal recordings involve some kind of drum triggering/sampling sound replacement technology in modern times?

What is your opinion of the current trend in utilising some form of triggering/sampling on extreme metal recordings? Why is it so popular?

How important is the drum sound for your productions?

Do you feel drum programming will ever reach the realism of a human played acoustic drum kit? The new Meshuggah album is programmed and sounds fucking quality!

Do you feel that we are in danger of loosing the acoustic natural ambience of the drums when using trigger, VST, electronic drums or other processing programs?

How long have drum triggers been around?

Who was the first band which used triggers on a production? Was it Morbid Angel?

Is recording/producing/engineering for drums in danger of becoming a lost art as new production methods (Drumagog, sound replacer, battery, electronic drums and triggers) are increasingly prevalent on extreme metal productions?

Kind regards,

Daniel.

Fyhed said:
Could you give me a rough estimate as to what percentage of metal recordings involve some kind of drum triggering/sampling sound replacement technology in modern times?

Off the top of my head I'd think it was something like 75%. Bands that go for "old school" sounds on the drums are getting less as time goes by. I could be totally wrong tho.

Fyhed said:
What is your opinion of the current trend in utilising some form of triggering/sampling on extreme metal recordings? Why is it so popular?

For really extreme things I have no problem with triggering because if done properly it can add a lot of clarity and solve problems with the sound. I guess its popular because it bypasses good mic technique to a certain extent and can fix a lot of things.

Fyhed said:
How important is the drum sound for your productions?

Fyhed said:
Do you feel drum programming will ever reach the realism of a human played acoustic drum kit? The new Meshuggah album is programmed and sounds fucking quality!

I'd say its not far off right now, it depends on perception tho, a lot of people really can't tell the difference for whatever reason, unless its very obvious. The new meshuggah is great and an example of where programming can add to feel. As Haake says "it sounded cld and emotionless, which is what we were going for." In that case it's all well and good.

Fyhed said:
Do you feel that we are in danger of loosing the acoustic natural ambience of the drums when using trigger, VST, electronic drums or other processing programs?

Not really, simulations of natural accoustics are better than ever at the moment, and there will always be bands that choose the "old school" way instead of the "modern" option.

Fyhed said:
How long have drum triggers been around?

see below

Fyhed said:
Who was the first band which used triggers on a production? Was it Morbid Angel?

No idea, but i think it started earlier than morbid angel were around. Mid 80's i seem to remember. It's only the same principle as using a keyboard synth instead of a real instrument too, and thats been around for a while now. (Back to mellotrons etc)

Fyhed said:
Is recording/producing/engineering for drums in danger of becoming a lost art as new production methods (Drumagog, sound replacer, battery, electronic drums and triggers) are increasingly prevalent on extreme metal productions?

I think you need those skills to use these methods anyway, if you can mix, all the software in the world is useless to you.

Dam rules btw, liking the new album. :headbang:

I think triggered/electronic drums started in the mid 80's/early 90's especially in AOR music. For example Motley Crüe's Doctor Feelgood (bob rock) has triggered drums... It's not an extreme music thing in the first place.