History of Metal

speed

Nov 19, 2001
Visit site
Just for curiosities sake, I was wondering if there were any metalish songs before Black Sabbath? Basically whether Sabbath just pulled this musical style out of thin air, with nothing like it in terms of heaviness and brooding doom other than perhaps classical music. I was pondering this question, and came up with Iron Butterfly, and King Crimson's song 20th Century Schizoid Man on the In the Court of the Crimson King record. Anyone else have any ideas?

Yeah I refer to 21st Century Schizoid Man as having the first real metal riff, and then of course Cream and Zeppelin as mentioned.

The opening of Purple Haze by Hendrix is pretty freakin' metal. It's heavy, it's atonal, and it makes me want to do drugs and have sex with women.

Velvet Underground made a lot of noise (literally), no real metal riffs but quite chaotic even by today's standards.

Still need to hear Blue Cheer.

If I'm not mistaken the first time HEAVY METAL was mentioned was in some review of some Hendrix stuff where it said the guitar sound was like heavy metal falling or something

I've heard that as well, and I've also heard it's bullshit. What that means: I dunno.

There was STEPPENWOLF - Born to be Wild..."heavy metal thunder!" from 1968.

THE BEATLES - Helter Skelter, from the White Album....also from 1968.

Sabbath never really pulled it out of the air because they were playing around with riffs in Earth, and then Iommi had the finger accident, et voila!! The power chord was born.

What Sabbath did well was play on the 'scary' factor. Everyone else was going the hippy route, and they took the yellow brick road to hell.

Even the film is from 1963:

15252.jpg

yeah I forgot about Helter Skelter, excellent suggestion, and Sabbath loved the beatles.

I still think old Iron Butterfly is pretty damn close. Especially the inteplay between the bass and the drums; its not all lead and rhthym guitar that defines metal--well thats my opinion at least.

I'll agree that Schizoid Man was probably the first monster riff, and that Sabbath didn't invent metal from out of nothing, but I still consider their namesake song to be the birth of metal as we know it, they were the first to arrive at the defining aura...