Hmmm..

People need to research what supercolliders do and the safety reports from the guys running before they run around like faggots screaming we're all going to die.

Also, they fired the first beam 6 minutes ago, we're not dead. AS EXPECTED.

Fucking goddamnit, this fucking forum is turning into fucking 4Chan.

I have been monitoring the LHC for years now and have actually been been processing its test stages' algorithms. I'm getting pretty sick and tired of the negative feedback CERN has been getting for this experiment and skeptics need to go and fuck their gods. The legal battles have been given to CERN in their favor so go fucking die.

Angels and Demons writes a tonne of shit about CERN and his moron readership believe it.

Haha, I read that shit. It was a pretty good story, though horribly written. For some reason he didn't get someone fluent in Italian to proofread the Italian language spoken by the various people in Rome in the book. It's chock full of errors and things that make absolutely no sense. It's like he wrote something on an online translator and just copied and pasted it to the book.

Then I heard about the DaVinci Code so I bought that one...didn't even read it because of all the hubub about it. Neal's right...it's basically the same book, change of scenery and characters. I went back to the states after Iraq in 04 for a couple of weeks and everyone was somehow an expert on theology and Italian culture, all because of this book. I LOL'd at all the sheeple.

It's like I always say: the weakest and most poorly constructed technology will always win the mainstream success. I guess that goes with literature as well.

as for the subject itself, we've survived it happening so far for years on end, when particles hit our atmosphere in much higher speeds and less stability.

AND WE'RE NOT DEAD

Haha, I read that shit. It was a pretty good story, though horribly written. For some reason he didn't get someone fluent in Italian to proofread the Italian language spoken by the various people in Rome in the book. It's chock full of errors and things that make absolutely no sense. It's like he wrote something on an online translator and just copied and pasted it to the book.

Then I heard about the DaVinci Code so I bought that one...didn't even read it because of all the hubub about it. Neal's right...it's basically the same book, change of scenery and characters. I went back to the states after Iraq in 04 for a couple of weeks and everyone was somehow an expert on theology and Italian culture, all because of this book. I LOL'd at all the sheeple.

It's like I always say: the weakest and most poorly constructed technology will always win the mainstream success. I guess that goes with literature as well.

:lol: Exactly. He's one of the most unaccomplished writers ever to have sold so many books. He just managed to get the formula right - conspiracies, esoteric groups and making people feel smart for reading dumb prose. Wash, rinse and repeat.

Angels and Demons writes a tonne of shit about CERN and his moron readership believe it.
yep, that was probably the best of his books that i read. those elemental stamps were really awesome (of course, he didnt design them hehe). i was jobless and looking to kill time. they certainly arent great books, but his style makes you want to keep turning pages, so he's got that going for him at least haha.

Weren't we also supposed to go into nuclear holocaust bullshit when 2000 hit? And now what about when the Mayan calendar ends? How about when the moon was closest to the earth for hundreds of years, wasn't there supposed to be big shit that day?

.... stupid stupid people. We'll bring about our own downfall and demise regardless, just let scientists be scientific.

Plus, I think it's kinda fascinating.

:lol: Exactly. He's one of the most unaccomplished writers ever to have sold so many books. He just managed to get the formula right - conspiracies, esoteric groups and making people feel smart for reading dumb prose. Wash, rinse and repeat.

What's more, didn't he rip this whole thing off from another author? His name eludes me...

To quote the mighty Leandro

Knowledge. The reason why you have microwaves and computers on your home right now is because someone went out and sought knowledge without trying to find applications for it. It's just understanding. Light up the darkness.

Can't happen. And not because of hawking radiation. First, technically, the very EXISTENCE of black holes was never proven right or wrong either. I've seen papers argue that an event horizon couldn't be formed in a finite time. Second. Do you have any idea how small the cross section of any of those black holes would be? Let's make a quick calculation.

We collide two lead cores, which have an atomic number of 82. That means the mass of our black holes would be at most 164 atomic units. Then we can find out the radius of a blackhole like that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwarzschild_radius

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...q=2*+G+*+164+*+mass+of+proton/c^2&btnG=Search

That's about 10^(-52) meters. Which is 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 meters. A single proton has a size of 10^-16 meters (0.0000000000000001). If the black hole were the size of a peanut, a single proton would be several orders of magnitude larger than the known universe. So I'm going to pretend it's the size of a baseball, that'll only make the odds of hitting something better anyway. Now suppose an atomic nucleus is the size of the earth. The distance that separates two nuclei in a typical metal would then be 100 000 000 kilometers. That's more or less the distance between the earth and mercury when they're closest. So if you want your black hole to hit ONE nucleus, ONE single tiny nucleus to increase its mass a tiny insignificant bit, it's roughly the same as standing in mercury, throwing a baseball at random and expecting it to hit the earth. I'll calculate that one for you:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...+of+earth^2+*+pi/(4*+1+au^2*++pi)&btnG=Search

about 1 in 10^10.

How about winning the lottery 16 times in a row?

And if you think that's enough, there's MORE. You'd have to hit a LOT of nuclei until the black hole could pose any danger. Let's say, until it could be the size of a proton? That means absorbing 10^12 kg. How many protons is that? Around 10^38. Multiply the above figure for that, you'll get odds of 1 in 10^48, which's winning the lottery...10^39 times. Or, if you prefer, throwing a baseball at a random direction and hitting another baseball...in the andromeda galaxy.

That EVEN IF they don't decay. Which pretty much EVERY current model predicts.

The earth will be fine.

Actually, I made a mistake in my calculations...it's not one chance in 10^48, it's more like one in 10^380 (The number of particles in the known universe is around 10^80, so >_>). Can't even begin to imagine an analogy for that. Perhaps the odds an apple simply disappearing into thin air, I dunno.