HMV to close a number of stores

That's not good for my company who test the till software for both HMV and Waterstones...

I have seen this coming for quite a while. i thought FOPP would be the saviour of the CD shop with such good prices and wide range, but it wasn't to be. Ever since their closure down here in Oxford i knew the physical music shop would start to disappear :cry: soon after Virgin changed to Zavvi and then became a discount clothes store...
I really can't see a way to save shops selling the physical products anymore what with torrent sites and the competitive pricing of Amazon and, even HMV's own website offering a substantial decrease in price for the same item. the overheads are too much and the interest is too little - it's official.

It sucks. But I'm convinced if HMV actually sold things at a little more reasonable price, they wouldn't be in QUITE the predicament they are. Anyone who's been to the metal section and seen the album they want at £15+ will often put it straight back down and give their business to the competition. Still, with HMV following suit with online retail VAT free from the Channel Islands, I think it's safe to say they will continue as an online operation, even if they are no longer a high street name.

Just shows you what kind of climate we're in when the biggest high street media outlet can't even stay afloat!

It sucks. But I'm convinced if HMV actually sold things at a little more reasonable price, they wouldn't be in QUITE the predicament they are. Anyone who's been to the metal section and seen the album they want at £15+ will often put it straight back down and give their business to the competition.

Unfortunately, this is true.
I've only ever bought... 1, perhaps 2 CDs from HMV due to the ridiculous pricing. if they were nearer £10 I would have been much more tempted to pick some quite decent titles that I've seen sitting there in the metal section.

It's a shame they're shutting their doors though. Let's hope they can at least stay afloat after these closures.

It sucks. But I'm convinced if HMV actually sold things at a little more reasonable price, they wouldn't be in QUITE the predicament they are. Anyone who's been to the metal section and seen the album they want at £15+ will often put it straight back down and give their business to the competition. Still, with HMV following suit with online retail VAT free from the Channel Islands, I think it's safe to say they will continue as an online operation, even if they are no longer a high street name.

Just shows you what kind of climate we're in when the biggest high street media outlet can't even stay afloat!

Very true this.

You would think that with an essential monopoly in terms of High Street entertainment sales, HMV should have gone from strength to strength and wouldn't have to face this prediciment

However I agree with the comments on the pricing structure in stores, and it isn't restricted to the Metal section, its throughout most of the shop. But then again, most shops now would struggle with the prices that you can find online, in terms of both physical and digital items

Lucky to still have a FOPP in Bristol (although its now HMV owned and therefore its future could be uncertain), so I buy most of my stuff either from there or online

A fond memory I have of CD buying is back when the Remixed and Remastered versions of all Megadeth albums from Peace Sells to Risk were first released. Back when Sheffield used to have a FOPP, I bought nearly all the albums there and then (there were just one or two they didn't have in) for £3 each!

Obviously onlines stores don't have anywhere near the overheads of a high street store. For example, an average unit in one of the smaller shopping centres in Southampton costs £50,000 per year in rent alone before you factor in other costs such as heating, electricity, security etc

You only had to walk into any HMV in the past few years to realise the end was nigh. They ultimately need to compete with the likes of Amazon to work longer term rather than worrying about a high street presence.

:(

I wonder if CDs will ever make a comeback in the future, like how vinyl seems to be all the rage currently...

I hope CD's don't get made redundant anytime soon like Cassette's, I refuse to adapt to the times! I just really think the idea of owning most or all Music Digitally is lame and whilst I appreciate Vinyl's are great and it must be good to have a collection of them, they're more expensive than CD's and easier to damage.

Darn right. I even enjoy alphabetizing my CD collection... good god :lol:

It's organizing stuff by the order of the alphabet. So if I organize all my CDs in that way, I'd put them in order by bands that start with A (Aquaria, Angra, Agalloch, etc.), then B (Blind Guardian, etc.), and so on. So it's easy to find stuff.