Hollenthon

J.

Old Fart
Jul 24, 2001
The Woodlands
Rediscovered Hollenthon's two albums just recently while going through my collection.

Wow. I don't remember these albums sounding so fresh. Great folkish symphonic epic death metal.

They should be ready to release their next album, but I guess with Martin Schirenc having just released the latest Pungent Stench and Mike Groeger being busy with the new Summoning, they haven't been able to fit it in.

But man, having been in a slump recently when it comes to metal, it's nice to rediscover albums you have kind of written off.

Anyone else dig this band?

I have "With Vilest Worms to Dwell". I remember reading a review for it on metal-observer, they gave it a 10/10 omgwtf kind of review. I really like it, but for some reason, it has this built-in amnesiac thing where I listen to it and then immediately forget everything about it that I liked.

That's either very clever or very crap. Either way, you're right, it sounds fresh each time you pop it into the CD player. In fact, I'm now going to listen to it shortly and then compare it to some Therion that PJ sent me.

10/10, eh? While I don't think it's a 10/10 (more like a 7 or 7.5), I really dig it simply because.....well, nobody else sounds like this.

While Therion is the obvious comparison, Therion never quite melded death metal with their symphonic moments except maybe on Lepaca Kliffoth and very, very little on Symphony Masses (my fave from them). Theli abandoned the death growls altogether, which is also the album they brought forth the symphony stuff.

Domus Mundi, the debut, is quite good too, and probably a little more brutal and more folky. Hell, track 5 is an instrumental that could fit on a Cruachan album.

Taken from librarius....

Therion began as a fairly interesting death metal band, though nothing I personally took interest in. That all changed when they released "Theli" (described by founder Christopher as the music they had always meant to do but couldn't afford) and became the kings of classical metal. Each subsquent release saw Therion incorporating more classical elements, including choirs, violins, and other classical instruments. Truly, one of the most original and interesting bands in metal, and one of my personal favorites.

Interesting how Therion only now seem to be making the music they originally intended. Funny what a lack of budget can do.

When it comes to Therion, fans seem split between the death metal era and the heavy metal muzak they now play. A shame that Therion has basically written off their death metal albums, as they are far more interesting and pretty damn good.

Still, I don't think any Therion album is as good as the two Hollenthon albums, but Symphony Masses comes close.

Hollenthon seems permenantly on hold I'm afraid. I was in Vienna a couple of years back with Martin and he had an idea of giving some classic 70's rock the Hollenthon treatment but it's never happened and the website hasn't been updated for over a year it seems.

A real shame. I like the way he worked with this, almost in a tecno / house music fashion. He would start with a few samples and the riffs would be worked around those rather than adding the samples later.

Damn. I would have loved to see what direction he would take Hollenthon. Hopefully he will find time in the future. Unless he starts some newer projects he should have plenty of time since Pungent Stench and Kreuzweg Ost have both completed new albums. That is unless PS starts touring.

70's rock + symphonic folk death metal. I would like to hear that.

Yeah Opeth17, you'll probably dig it. Just know it's not super brutal, and when I say "symphonic", I'm not talking about synth sounds or keyboards, I'm talking that it sounds like a symphony, with horns, flutes, etc. Though those sounds are created through keyboards, samples, whatever, and not a real symphony.

It really tasty, catchy stuff.

Monday, February 26, 2007

New hollenthon album!!!!

OK i know alot of people are wondering about a new hollenthon album. AND THERE IS ONE!!!. Mike and martin are working their asses off writing and completing their 3rd and yet untitled masterpiece. Wich will also be released on napalm records sometime this year. Not too much information yet besides the fact you can listen too a brand new demo from the masters at mike's official myspace page at http://www.myspace.com/mikegroeger. Thats all for now but keep your eyes and ears open because hollenthon are hungry for playing live shows festivals and touring....... spread the word

:kickass:

Sweet. Though hopefully they take things in a somewhat new direction with the new one (maybe along the lines of what Lee mentioned?) because while the first two are great, I'm not sure I need any more stuff that sounds just like that.

Neil