Holophonic Metal versus Stereo Metal

marmotelio

New Metal Member
Oct 23, 2009
I started this topic because, I'm surprised about what no bands in the world uses the HOLOPHONIC technique (The technique to make the sounds come from any point in 3d space), and only uses the old STEREO.

I think this is the moment to move to Holographic sound...

here are videos of holophony (USE HEADPHONES)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfgFlnmXaok&feature=relmfu[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sz3TXF7f18&feature=relmfu[/ame]

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holofonía

Pink Floyd record some stuff with holophony

As cool as it is, the majority of the buying market is not looking for this. They want something they can listen to on their laptops, ipods while running, and in the car. I think it would be cool as a secondary mix as a bonus track.

You can listen to stuff like this anywhere as long as you have headphones. But it will sound like poop the minute you play it through a stereo, so it's a no go for me :)

Because in order for the effect to really work for the listener, headphones must be used. That and stereo has worked just fine all this time.

this shit is really cool, been into it for a loooong time now but as everyone said, stereo just WORKS, unfortunately...

binaural recording techniques (with the dummy head dealio) have been used a TON by dudes like Tchad Blake, I do know that...

First off...Binaural techniques sound a lot 'better' with custom HRTFs, but not everyone can make them. Probably why not many people outside of Tchad Blake have used it commercially. Also special aspects of binaural technology (such as holophony) have been somewhat superseded (and absorbed) by funded research into other methods of reproduction like binaural, ambiophonics, WFS+, Ambisonics etc.

One of the PhD students has started playing around with the Jecklin Disk at work and the results are pretty promising (in terms of spaciousness and coherency). Not entirely sure exactly what the principles are.

Anyone who uses Logic can make their mixes into binaural, using general HRTF data, so it's not beyond those who want to try..

How is holophonic so different from stereo music? That holophonic thing is stereo, the only difference to me is that the real instruments stay in the same position specially amps. There is a lot of 3d panning in electronic music but its not very frequent to hear it.

Two channel ('stereo') is different from stereophony.

Two channel material uses* amplitude mixing between channel 1 (perceived left) and channel 2 (right) to create a stereofield. This is the most common type of material labeled stereo but has very little to do with real stereophony.

Stereophony uses cross-over networks, cross-talk and in the case of binaural auditory perceptive functions like ILD and ITD. The channels (often two) are linked and when played together give increased sense of width and immersion with materials.

Edit - I should probably point out that the purpose of techniques like holophony were originally to reproduce an auditory event or scene accurately. Most modern uses of stereo are hyper-real and 'upmixed' from stereo to create a stereofield with amplitude panning.
*not exclusively, but more than often just amplitude.