Holy Martyr - Still at war

Metal79

Aug 5, 2006
The Netherlands
No, it's not Algy and his little tank. It's Holy Martyr from the south of Italy, who have been finally rewarded for years of sticking it out under difficult circumstances.

After three demos - long sold out - Dragonheart signed the band and have just released Still at war, the official HM debut album. A deal well-deserved too: guitarist Ivano Spiga and his legionnaires have put together an epic metal piece that would make Mark Shelton and the Ross the Boss of old proud.
No lalala metal or keyboards on speed, but real old school epic metal, guaranteed to piss off the mainstream press and outlive all the trends, rip-offs and fakes out there.
A mighty 'Avé, avé Roma!' to Ivano and Holy Martyr!:headbang:

If you're into Manilla Road, Battle hymns-/Hail to England-era Manowar and DoomSword, listen to some of the tracks here: www.myspace.com/hmartyr

Thanks for the heads up Metal!! Sounds like good stuff...
I'll be waiting for the review also.

Battleroar, Assedium may be appealing to you also...
I picked up both of these & they're awesome.

ASSEDIUM Rise of the Warlords
European traditional power metal like Iron Maiden, Domine, Manowar, Doomsword, Brocas Helm, etc. Mostly they sound like pre-album era Domine.
My Graveyard Productions

BATTLEROAR Age of Chaos CD + DVD
European epic power metal produced by Alex Festa (Doomsword) and recorded at Conquest Studio (Doomsword, Wotan, etc.). Guest appearance by Mark Shelton of Manilla Road. The bonus DVD features live tracks and studio recording sessions.
Black Lotus

And of course...you can't go wrong with Domine 'Emperor Of The Black Runes', 'Stormbringer Ruler' or 'Dragonlord'.

Thanks for the heads up Metal!! Sounds like good stuff...
I'll be waiting for the review also.

Battleroar, Assedium may be appealing to you also...
I picked up both of these & they're awesome.

ASSEDIUM Rise of the Warlords
European traditional power metal like Iron Maiden, Domine, Manowar, Doomsword, Brocas Helm, etc. Mostly they sound like pre-album era Domine.
My Graveyard Productions

BATTLEROAR Age of Chaos CD + DVD
European epic power metal produced by Alex Festa (Doomsword) and recorded at Conquest Studio (Doomsword, Wotan, etc.). Guest appearance by Mark Shelton of Manilla Road. The bonus DVD features live tracks and studio recording sessions.
Black Lotus

And of course...you can't go wrong with Domine 'Emperor Of The Black Runes', 'Stormbringer Ruler' or 'Dragonlord'.

Yes, Powermetal Rebel, great stuff. Both Battleroar albums are essential for the fan of epic tunes. Live these Greeks rule as well, with Italian singer Marco Concoreggi totally into the music and lyrics.

Assedium I couldn't get into yet, have to try again I guess?

I'm waiting for the new Wotan album 'Epos', which, from what I heard, is right up there with their first album.

As for Domine: vastly underrated and often wrongly associated with the whole symphonic speed thing. In just a handful of Domine songs there are more fantastic melodies and harmonies, details and riff/vocal variations than other bands are capable of producing in ten years.

Holy Martyr "Still at war" is one the best albums from 2007 until now, I guess.

About the comparations you´ve named, in my opinion:

With Manilla Road: Yeah, it´s classic, it´s traditional metal but maybe not so special like Manilla Road. That´s not necessary bad I think

With Manowar: I agree in Holy Martyr most epic songs to sing along and raise your fists like "Vis et honor" or "FRom the north comes the war"

With Doomsword: Not so doom metal but almost as epic as Doomsword. They got the "italian feeling" too

"Still at war" is quite diverse (among true metal releases) ´cause it combines hymns, epic stuff and faster tunes. Lyrics fit perfectly with their style and, for me, it´s a "must have" for every epic/traditional metal fan. Absolutely recommended.

You´ve talked about Battleroar and Assedium too. I consider Holy Martyr are nearer to mighty Battleroar than to Assedium but not so Manilla Road influenced like the greeks. Anyway, Battleroar and Holy Martyr are superb and Assedium isn´t as amazing but quite good too.

When you've got the disc, please post your views, okay? This band needs and deserves the support.
'Vis et honor!'

I have all their EPs (unfortunately, only "Vis et Honor" original) and in my opinion they are one of the best epic metal bands nowdays. I am sure that the result on the album will be good and I hope that they'll have the support they deserve from the audience.

Yes, Powermetal Rebel, great stuff. Both Battleroar albums are essential for the fan of epic tunes. Live these Greeks rule as well, with Italian singer Marco Concoreggi totally into the music and lyrics.

Assedium I couldn't get into yet, have to try again I guess?

I'm waiting for the new Wotan album 'Epos', which, from what I heard, is right up there with their first album.

As for Domine: vastly underrated and often wrongly associated with the whole symphonic speed thing. In just a handful of Domine songs there are more fantastic melodies and harmonies, details and riff/vocal variations than other bands are capable of producing in ten years.

I was slow to appreciate Assedium also. Track # 4 'Cimmerian Steel' & #8 'Imperial Dream' left such an impressionle for me after the first listen, I found myself returning to this CD often and being more receptive to the rest of the songs. It's an unusual listen.

That's an excellent point about Domine. I was a bit disappointed with the new CD at first ("Ancient Spirit Rising") but after a few listens I've come to like it a lot. They seem to be treading their own beaten path and haven't invested much in new ideas but at least it is a solid Domine release and not a venture into inventing a new sound.

Well, I have listened to the CD some times. It's not a surprise, I knew that it has only one new song (and another, 'Hadding Garmsson', with changed title and lyrics), but this doesn't mean that the work is not good.

Here, our favorite tunes sound more professional, as they have better production -which I couldn't call good, though- but still epic and powerful.

I think that Holy Martyr's debut is essential for all the fans of original heavy metal with epic atmosphere. Give it a try. :)

Finally got to hear 'Still At War'. At least now I know what all the (well-deserved) hoopla is about. Likely to be on my top ten list at the end of the year.