Home recording - death metal drums?

Stormwatch

Cock.
May 2, 2003
Fortress of Arrogance
I've done a little bit of (very) amateur home recording and I'm happy with the guitar side of things, but the drum samples I have are basic "rock" type ones. Where can I get proper death/heavy metal style drum samples for use with Cubase?

my suggestion would be to take the existing Cubase drum editor, and after you've sequenced the drums, save it as *.wav, re-insert it into the set, and then use the filters and editors to tweak the tone of the drums till you get what you want

well you could search the net for another VST drum system that has DM style samples, but to me, THAT seems like harder work lol... plus, it'd be hard to find free ones.

Well, they don't have to be free. I don't mind paying if the stuff is good. I just want to create something Vader-like! I can do the guitar stuff, but the click track kinda ruins it...

Besides getting new samples from a disc or website or something, I have a few suggestions...

Try playing your current 'rock kit' out through a guitar amp and then re-recording the sound. You can acheive some pretty interesing effects by moving the mic closer/farther while adjusting the EQ and volume. This is similar to Silent Song's post but will yield something diffferent, and with some experimenting, possibly more extreme results.

OK, this next suggestion might sound silly but I've got some fantastic results by making my own samples without using drums. Bang your furniture (or your head!) Stomp on the floor. Hit the wall with your fist! You can use various 'drum sticks' to get different sounds. You might be pleasantly surprised with what you can acheive!

Of course, these both might be too much work, especially if you're looking for 'proper' death drums. But, imho, death metal should not be proper!

noisefan said:
Besides getting new samples from a disc or website or something, I have a few suggestions...

Try playing your current 'rock kit' out through a guitar amp and then re-recording the sound. You can acheive some pretty interesing effects by moving the mic closer/farther while adjusting the EQ and volume. This is similar to Silent Song's post but will yield something diffferent, and with some experimenting, possibly more extreme results.

OK, this next suggestion might sound silly but I've got some fantastic results by making my own samples without using drums. Bang your furniture (or your head!) Stomp on the floor. Hit the wall with your fist! You can use various 'drum sticks' to get different sounds. You might be pleasantly surprised with what you can acheive!

Of course, these both might be too much work, especially if you're looking for 'proper' death drums. But, imho, death metal should not be proper!
these are awesome suggestions

I quite like nskit. It's free(type it in google) and it has pre-made sets for cubase/battery. I have most of the samples from the old dkfh and I use nskit more for convenience.