home studio noob question...

rispsira

Mar 18, 2010
So at the risk of being killed im still gonna ask. I have a small room 3.4 meters X 4.12 Meters and am planning to build my lil home studio aside from our bands to work late at night or whenever i feel like it.

So im in the process of figuring out the gear etc, planning some treatment at a later date as well.

But hmm.. I found a nice place to put the desk (laptop monitors etc) according to how i think other objects will fit in the room and what i liked is a round desk (semi-circle) on a corner of the room seemed pretty cozy.

I just cant imagine that would be good sonically though being in the corner.

How do you guys decide where you should be placed? i figured maybe i should try to find the sweet spot instead of whats practical..

Any advice?

yeah, avoid corners as much as possible or you'll find that your bass response to be completely jacked. try centering your desk on a wall and bringing it a few feet from the wall. then acoustically treat the walls behind the desk and directly opposite of your monitors.

honestly, just use your ears to figure out where you're getting the most accurate sound reproduction.

Look at the room longways. Place the desk against the back wall in the middle. Scoot it a foot or so off the wall if you can afford the real estate.

you want your listening position to be approx. 37% of the length of the room from the front wall. Try and get things symmetrical left and right to get a decent stereo image (sometimes being a *little* off centre can be beneficial however).

thanks for the link man, though im not sure how to use that or what to do with it? :eek:

yeahh i have my desk againsnt the wall towards the middle, I have some room control on my speackers that helps a little.
Idk if i am answering any of your questions but i have blankets set up in the corners on the wall to reduce reflections, really helps.