"Hope leaves" main Riff Stretch.......!!!

waz416

May 4, 2004
So I can stretch for liek 5 frets no probs...........but when Im tryina play this song "hope leaves" and it has this 5 to 1 stretch on teh low E......I jsut cant do it..........I been tryin it all day.....??......are there any excersises taht would hlep with that riff.......!!!.......I really love that song.....!!!!......and woudl love to be able to paly and sign it.so tahxn in advance for teh feedback and suggestion......!!!!.........PEAC EOUT

Put your ringfinger and pinky on the 5th frets, and use your indexfinger to reach for the 1st fret. If you can't make it, try to shift your ringfinger and pinky a bit more towards the 4th fret, instead of placing them right behind the 5th one, as usual. Play it sitting, and maybe stick the elbow of your fretting hand abit away from you (sort of), to make the reach easier.

waz416 said:
So I can stretch for liek 5 frets no probs...........but when Im tryina play this song "hope leaves" and it has this 5 to 1 stretch on teh low E......I jsut cant do it..........I been tryin it all day.....??......are there any excersises taht would hlep with that riff.......!!!.......I really love that song.....!!!!......and woudl love to be able to paly and sign it.so tahxn in advance for teh feedback and suggestion......!!!!.........PEAC EOUT
its definitely a matter of hands and it-s size, but you can also trying this: when you play that hardass part try to move your elbow to the guitar neck, your arm would aling to the neck,so to speak, and thus your fingers will reach more than before. obviously it does only fit for this kind of hellish chords.

I don't know, I have small hands, hand only palyed guitar for 1 and a half year yet that riff isn't a big problem (I have to reach and everything), strange. And no, my guitar isn't small (PRS Santana SE).

thanx alot for the advice guys..........Ill be workin on it for sure............and ure tip[s will greatly help......much appreciated..........Keep'em comin.,,,.........PEAC EOUT

i don't have problems playing The drapery falls, even the outro part, maybe you should warm up your fingers a little bit before playing. that might help.

deliverance said:
i thought that at first too, till i realized the correct fingering, and..it's really easy dude. just fool around with it a bit.

Uh? Is there more than one possibility? Tell me!
I play it like on the video on guitar.com, and I do get tired after a while, but so did I while playing power chords three years ago. It's just a matter of practicing. But if you know another way, tell me.

atilla000 said:
Uh? Is there more than one possibility? Tell me!
I play it like on the video on guitar.com, and I do get tired after a while, but so did I while playing power chords three years ago. It's just a matter of practicing. But if you know another way, tell me.

this chord is an Opeth classic... they use it in almost every song. That's a cool chord.

Ah yes THAT chord. Was irritating until I bashed my fingers into shape. Think of playing guitar as aerobics for your hands... the more you keep at it, the more flexible they get. You'll get it eventually.

Moonlapse said:
Ah yes THAT chord. Was irritating until I bashed my fingers into shape. Think of playing guitar as aerobics for your hands... the more you keep at it, the more flexible they get. You'll get it eventually.
"practice makes the master"... it's freaking true... it's just a matter of practice (and patience, and perseveration)