Horrid home studio.

Svarthjärtad

Iskungen
Sep 2, 2007
Färgelanda
I have a Black Metal project.
So far, so good. It is nice. Good riffs and songtext.

But you see, the recording or production of album is not so much.
Right now, I am using Adobe Audition 1.5 and one cheap microphone.

Does anybody have tips.
I do like to keep it somewhat raw and cold. Old Bathory stuff, you know?

www.myspace.com/svarthjartadswe
This is it.
"Naturförstörelse" is recorded at another studio - for full-length.
The demos are what I'm worried about.
The other tracks are demos. How I record using what I have make it sound better?

listened to a couple of clips. the cymbals are really harsh in the first clip. vox sometimes are very murky and unclear, I'd have to blame the mic/pre's on those. the noise floor is also really high. you need good mics and preamps to start with! without at least decent gear, you are never going to get a sound you are ever really happy with. not really into black metal, and haven't listened to it in years, so i dont really have much to go off of though.

Im a black metal fan, I appreciate good raw-sounding bands, but some people think a "raw" sound means a cheap sound, as if recording the whole band live on an answering machine makes it sound "kvlt and raw". Im not bashing you or anything like that, don't take it personally, Im not saying you are one of these guys (you simply dont have the needed minimum gear), just that I've seen these cases very often.

If you want to make a recording, you definitely need some gear, at least a preamp (or interface with built in preamps) and a decent mic for guitars/vox (if you're really low budget you might be able to make with one SM57 for everything), of course a guitar cab/loud combo amp is a must. Bass could be DI'ed, or you could just mic a cab/combo with the same mic so you don't have to buy a DI or a different mic for bass (bass ain't that much elaborate or important in black metal anyway :)
Now about the drums, I don't think Midi or sampled drums is the way to go for black metal, most of the "rawness" from a black metal sound (besides the guitar and bass distorsion and buried, drity vocals of course) is the live sounding drums IMO, If you could manage to get a hold on at least 3 or 4 mics for drums (kick, snare and one or two overheads) you could make a nice low-budget raw drum sound, giving some nice reverb in the mixing stage will give some great black metal ambience.

note, I am saying these tips on a really low budget, if you budget can be higher you can always manage stuff like more specific mics for different instruments and a full drum micing kit, Bass Driver DI, etc. plus for oldschool black metal it just might work out, I heard the songs on the myspace and you're definitely going for totally oldschool stuff.

Btw I like the vocals on your songs, totally oldschool

Edit: If you want to keep using adobe audition at least upgrade to a newer version, 1.5 is like a million years old! the later versions are more easy to use and have more posibilities

Thank you guys. Great tips for me.
Yes, I am on very low-budget. And I those those bands that really don't give a shit how is recorded, even on a mobil phone. Hehe. KVLT! Hehe. Raw is good, but I would like for to understand all of the instruments. Bathory, Arckanum, Darkthrone(Goatlord), stuff like that. Cold and raw!

I played with Funeral Dust and Forests of Old for a while. We recorded with 8-track recorder - one instrument at a time. Uploaded that onto Adobe Audition 1.5 and edit it. It turned out well you see. If you listen to Funeral Dust www.funeral-dust.com, this is how I would like to sound as far as production.

So I should buy better microphones, interface, and program?
I have good equipment, I have Engl Invader 100 and I use a Zakk Wylde Signature guitar. Not bad equipment. My drums are Pulse 7-peice. I don't have a bass, so I just play the bass chords on my guitar with bass10+ and treble10-. mid 10-. And edit the sound in program. *a little trick I learned*
My keyboards is cheap, I plug it in right into my computer microphone.

As you can tell, I am not much recorder artist, but a live performer at most.
And my untitled Funeral Doom track is actually one recording of each note, and I multiplied it. Hehe. *another trick*

Thank for help!
Skål!

When you can't hear what notes the guitars are playing (if playing at all), and when there is no bass (usually is not or can't be heard), and when the drums sound like an elementary school drum kit being played in a HUGE toilet (oops I meant bathroom), and when the vocalist sounds like it (yes, it) is dying, then my friends.... then it is true necro black metal!

I LOVE IT! It's so damn good! Devin Townsend and all other geniuses can go fuck themselves with all their music, because this is the way of the truuuuueeee *makes a grim face*!

Svarthjärtad;8222697 said:
Thank you guys. Great tips for me.
Yes, I am on very low-budget. And I those those bands that really don't give a shit how is recorded, even on a mobil phone. Hehe. KVLT! Hehe. Raw is good, but I would like for to understand all of the instruments. Bathory, Arckanum, Darkthrone(Goatlord), stuff like that. Cold and raw!

I played with Funeral Dust and Forests of Old for a while. We recorded with 8-track recorder - one instrument at a time. Uploaded that onto Adobe Audition 1.5 and edit it. It turned out well you see. If you listen to Funeral Dust www.funeral-dust.com, this is how I would like to sound as far as production.

So I should buy better microphones, interface, and program?
I have good equipment, I have Engl Invader 100 and I use a Zakk Wylde Signature guitar. Not bad equipment. My drums are Pulse 7-peice. I don't have a bass, so I just play the bass chords on my guitar with bass10+ and treble10-. mid 10-. And edit the sound in program. *a little trick I learned*
My keyboards is cheap, I plug it in right into my computer microphone.

As you can tell, I am not much recorder artist, but a live performer at most.
And my untitled Funeral Doom track is actually one recording of each note, and I multiplied it. Hehe. *another trick*

Thank for help!
Skål!

Your guitar equipment is not bad, you could use an interfase and a good mic like an SM57 which could work great for some stuff (Guitar) and decent for other stuff (vocals, bass). and please update at least to audition 2.0! about the drums, I would recommend getting at the very least two overheads and two close mics for kick and snare (sm57 works for snare), you could even get away with just two overheads and not sound bad for what you're aiming, but you would have just no control on mixing drums, and kick drum would be missing the actual thump.

About the keyboards, try plugging the keyboard to a line input in your interface, could sound better although im a total newbie on that stuff.

About ghetto-bass, I believe there are better ways to achieve a more bass-sounding guitar, can't remember, Im a bass player and always have a bass, might as well invent a ghetto guitar from a bass hahaha

Vocals are great, you could try recording them inside a closet or any small closed wood room and see how you get a natural creepy reverb for them

Thanks!
You see, I am on a very low budget due to bills and other things.
So four SM57 microphones and interface? Got you! :)

I record my vocals funny. I actually sing into my amplifier with a microphone and have another microphone recording it. If I use just the one microphone(to my computer), it makes bumps and noises when I sing a lot of time, because of breathing. They are BAD microphones, a friend sent them to me from USA, says he got them at "Wall*mart" or something, I think that is it how you spell or says it. They are no good, but free for me. :D Hehe.

Are 4-track multi-track recorders good? The Cassete versions.

Svarthjärtad;8224220 said:
Thanks!

I record my vocals funny. I actually sing into my amplifier with a microphone and have another microphone recording it. If I use just the one microphone(to my computer), it makes bumps and noises when I sing a lot of time, because of breathing.

Nice trick, sounds really cryptic and buried, how it's supposed to

Personally I'd go with a 4 input interfase (4 input for the drums, other instruments only need 1 input, or 2 if you're gonna "Fredman" the guitars), It's easier to work in digital. Besides, I don't know much about that,but "cassete" recorders I know simply record your old cassettes into your pc via USB, don't know any small "analog tape" multitrack recorders, but anyone else here could help better on that subject. But stay with digital, trust me.

4 SM57s could work for low budget, but maybe you should check some cheap kick drum mics on the web and buy 3 sm57s and one kick drum mic, I don't think a 57 would work well on a kick drum.

4 mics and an interfase, but all of this is nothing if you don't get a decent DAW, either upgrade your adobe audition to at least 2.0 or get Reaper, it's free to test for indefinite time http://www.reaper.fm

Thanks!

I record my vocals funny. I actually sing into my amplifier with a microphone and have another microphone recording it. If I use just the one microphone(to my computer), it makes bumps and noises when I sing a lot of time, because of breathing. They are BAD microphones, a friend sent them to me from USA, says he got them at "Wall*mart" or something, I think that is it how you spell or says it. They are no good, but free for me. :D Hehe.

:err:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...n-parade-first-impressions-2.html#post8168347