House of Blues/Disney

chuj666

....and a bottle of grog
Nov 16, 2007
St. Pete/Florida
www.myspace.com
Can anyone explain to me the situation with house of blues cancelling metal shows to other venues..

The last show i went to was Megadeth at HOB Orlando

Then all metal shows were cancelled at House of Blues Orlando to Firestone, I heard 2 rumours one was that Disney got complaints from it's supporters during a Cradle of Filth concert that they were shocked and disgusted by the COF shirt "Jesus is a Cunt".

The other rumour which i doubt is that metal concerts aren't selling enough tickets for House of Blues

I understand this. Disney is made for kids so I am sure they dont want metal bands playing under there name. What do you expect?

yeah, while i dont like censorship, venues have a right to choose what shows to have. just like you wouldnt see a metal band at a rap venue and vice versa. and if i remember correctly, they stopped the metal shows because it didnt meet their criteria for values or somthing. there is a press release out there, but i dont want to look for it.

and when you think about it, the house of blues venues are in major cities like LA and NY. those towns have other venues large enough to support metal shows anyways. so its not like we're losing out on a vital part of the scene
~gR~

But the thing is House of Blues is located not even close to any Disney sites, they have bars and other clubs..The thing that sucks about Firestone in Orlando is the bar is way to the side of the stage, were in HOB you drink at the bar and it was in the back and center to the stage

No, but it is owned by Disney who have a right to hold their name to morals and I am sure having Venom playing wont support those morals. Therefor it is a understandable action for them to make.

Well I guess what's done is done, but my issue is what changed in a year, I mean if Disney held it's values they should of banned metal concerts in the beginning, but know it's like censorship,a year ago HOB had bands like Celtic Frost and Cannibal Corpse, now the venue changed for the worse..Firestone had ParadiseLost/Nightwish a couple of days ago and Nightwish had to cancel early because there was a dance party booked after the show how lame is that, BTW I was there to see PL and there was a line outside and the band had already started playing so I got to listen to about 2 songs of PL, then I waited for Nightwish becaues I never heard the band before and after they started I left:kickass:

No, I disagree. Disney is full of shit on this issue. It's because they're flip-flopping - why do this now?. Their recent movies have been anything but kid-friendly anyways. Disneyland and Disneyworld are total shams for families. They're nothing but foul-smelling money pits with a few nice hotels, good rides, and a good theme here and there.

I think this was originally brought up with Machine Head, who were very outspoken against it. Apparently the Disney twats cancelled their shows barely 48 hours in advance, which is a real shady decision.

The House of Blues has been playing metal shows for a very long time... whenever I think of Cali and Metal, House of Blues tends to be pretty synonymous, and I'm sure I'm not alone on that. It's a shame that it's come to this, but there are other venues.

I'm not surprised about their response on COF though. CoF and a lot of their fans seem to thrive on negative attention. That shirt "Jesus Was A Cunt" is still being discussed across the nation. They probably brought in a bad crowd that soiled the reputation for future metal bands. :\

Well I guess what's done is done, but my issue is what changed in a year, I mean if Disney held it's values they should of banned metal concerts in the beginning, but know it's like censorship,a year ago HOB had bands like Celtic Frost and Cannibal Corpse, now the venue changed for the worse..Firestone had ParadiseLost/Nightwish a couple of days ago and Nightwish had to cancel early because there was a dance party booked after the show how lame is that, BTW I was there to see PL and there was a line outside and the band had already started playing so I got to listen to about 2 songs of PL, then I waited for Nightwish becaues I never heard the band before and after they started I left:kickass:

^ That's a period. It's part of the English language. More Info.

Disney critizised for stopping heavy metal concerts

“Why has the heavy metal genre now been labeled ‘inflammatory’ and their fans ‘undesirable’ at House of Blues venues in Anaheim and Orlando?,” asks Machine Head’s Robb Flynn in a blog commentary.

About a month ago, the heavy metal band Machine Head were told that their concert at The House Of Blues in Anaheim, California (which is on Disney property) – after tickets having been on sale for six weeks – was going to be moved on two days notice “because Disney had begun silently enacting a blanket policy to eliminate all heavy metal shows from the two House of Blues venues that reside on Disney property,” writes Robb Flynn in his blog-commentary on Headbangers' Blog.

The House of Blues is a chain of venues that have been a home for live music of all genres since 1992.

Robb Flynn continues:
“Now, of course, no one would go on record about exactly what Disney’s brand new issue(s) with metal seemed to be (understandably so). But the ‘unofficial’ gist is that metal lyrics were deemed ‘inflammatory’ and metal fans deemed ‘undesirable’.”

Other sources say that the reason behind the cancellation is said to be the band's “violent imagery, objectionable fans and seditious lyrics”. Robb Flynn believes the ban is politically motivated, since certain heavy metal bands apparently will still be allowed to perform at the House of Blues. He asks in his commentary: Does it have something to do with the fact that metal lyrics says what most other media is afraid to say?

“As much as I might want to dismiss the notion that there is a degree of suppression involved here, I just can’t shake that word ‘inflammatory’. What exactly are metal bands supposedly inciting with our lyrics: Free thought? The idea that our government might not always be working in our best interest? Comprehension of the corruptive force of organized religion? Have things really gotten so bad here in this country that the mere possible mention of these issues is now enough to remove potential ‘offenders’ from the table outright”

well Disney has gay days, sounds like just another case of someone having their priorities mixed up.

yeah, while i dont like censorship, venues have a right to choose what shows to have. just like you wouldnt see a metal band at a rap venue and vice versa. and if i remember correctly, they stopped the metal shows because it didnt meet their criteria for values or somthing. there is a press release out there, but i dont want to look for it.

but the House Of Blues allows ALL genres. what Disney is doing is straight-up discrimination. If the House Of Blues was a straight pop or rap venue, then I'd agree. but not in this case. House Of Blues is all over the US. Some HOB venues aren't even in or near Disney. besides isn't HOB owned by someone else? they could sue.