How about a Marcel Jacob/Talisman tribute for the Showcase?

Feb 14, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Since Glenn has already booked Crimson Glory for a Midnight tribute, wouldn't it be cool to book Jeff Scott Soto and some Talisman members to perform a similar tribute to Marcel Jacob? At least JSS is American (so no visa issues) and it'd be great to finally get him to PP. Might also be real cathartic for JSS ... if you read his comments about Marcel at www.melodicrock.com.

I know Glenn has previously tried to get JSS to perform at PP with the Queen tribute/cover performance. But JSS passed calling it a one-off performance for the Queen fan club only.

Of course, the Showcase is Shane's baby. So it's truly up to him.

Since Glenn has already booked Crimson Glory for a Midnight tribute, wouldn't it be cool to book Jeff Scott Soto and some Talisman members to perform a similar tribute to Marcel Jacob? At least JSS is American (so no visa issues) and it'd be great to finally get him to PP. Might also be real cathartic for JSS ... if you read his comments about Marcel at www.melodicrock.com.

I know Glenn has previously tried to get JSS to perform at PP with the Queen tribute/cover performance. But JSS passed calling it a one-off performance for the Queen fan club only.

Of course, the Showcase is Shane's baby. So it's truly up to him.

That would absolutely rule!! A tribute to one of the best bass players who deserves it. Jeff Scott Soto can use his band (Howie Simon and I believe Fredrik Akesson (who is in Opeth now) should be able to do it and just give us an amazing jam of everything Talisman - Human Clay - Humanimal and Yngwie Malmsteen. C'mon Shane - you can do it!!!!!

Listen guys, I'm not trying to speak ill of the dead, or disrespect anything or anyone here, but I don't think it would be as well received as you may think. I certainly would have no interest in it, as I've never really listened to or experienced any of this guy's music before. That's not to say I'm opposed to listening to the music, I just didn't grow up listening to it, and I doubt I'll become a big enough fan by PP to appreciate a tribute to this guy. I doubt I'm the only one that will be in attendance at the Showcase that feels the same.

I would think that for the Showcase, it'll be a band of VP's ilk that has a pretty universal ProgPower-crowd appeal, not a band that will appease a select few old-school hardcore fans of this person's music.

You know, this is really funny. Before the guy passes away, nobody says anything, nobody suggests a show like that, nobody really even remembers the guy/band exist. Then all of a sudden the guy passes away (unfortunate, I know) and everyone's like "Oooohhh let's do a tribute to him." I don't mean to disrespect anyone who liked him or his family and loved ones, but seriously, do you think this would go really well at ProgPower? I don't think most of the audience cares, honestly. Not to be rude, but I had to be realistic.

You know, this is really funny. Before the guy passes away, nobody says anything, nobody suggests a show like that, nobody really even remembers the guy/band exist. Then all of a sudden the guy passes away (unfortunate, I know) and everyone's like "Oooohhh let's do a tribute to him." I don't mean to disrespect anyone who liked him or his family and loved ones, but seriously, do you think this would go really well at ProgPower? I don't think most of the audience cares, honestly. Not to be rude, but I had to be realistic.

Now how do you really know that nobody remembers that the guy existed?

An odd statement indeed.....

I'm not saying I want a Marcel tribute show. I don't, but I think there a few of us who were very aware of Marcel Jacob and the outstanding work he has done in the metal community.

I personally would love to see this happen. We already have DSO :lol: and I don't consider them Prog or Power metal. I've been a fan of JSS for decades. All of his Malmsteen/Talisman/Humanimal albums kick ass. But like the others have said they are neither Power (maybe the Yngwie stuff) or Progressive so they really wouldn't fit in with the festival. Leave that for.....say.....Sweden Rock Festival :)

I would hope that most of us here are fans of good music and not be so closed minded. Marcel definitely put out some great songs. If you haven't heard some of them maybe you should :err:

I'm not saying I want a Marcel tribute show. I don't, but I think there a few of us who were very aware of Marcel Jacob and the outstanding work he has done in the metal community.

I'm sure there are a few of you who are very aware of who he was. However, I don't recall seeing that many threads where he's mentioned, or his contribution to the metal community. As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't seem to be a band/show that would go well at ProgPower. Maybe like Palabra said, for the old-schoolers would be a treat. I don't think the majority of the ProgPower attendees (I'm not speaking for anyone else, just my perception) would like to see it. That's all.

+1

I've been aware of him since the YJM days.

I really hope you didn't direct this comment at me.

I wasn't directing it at anyone in particular. It was just a general statement for anyone that didn't know his music. Maybe I shouldn't have used the :err: smiley :lol:

I know you're angry because Andre won't be performing but chill out for a minute, we're all supposed to be friends here :saint: :p

I wasn't directing it at anyone in particular. It was just a general statement for anyone that didn't know his music. Maybe I shouldn't have used the :err: smiley :lol:

I know you're angry because Andre won't be performing but chill out for a minute, we're all supposed to be friends here :saint: :p

:lol: I wasn't angry at all. I was just saying that because I don't think it'd be a fair statement based on me disagreeing with the tribute show to Marcel.

As far as Andre Matos... it...it...hurtsssss.... :lol:

:lol: I wasn't angry at all. I was just saying that because I don't think it'd be a fair statement based on me disagreeing with the tribute show to Marcel.

As far as Andre Matos... it...it...hurtsssss.... :lol:

It's alright man. I feel your pain....Vanden Plas not coming was a big let down for me but.......we'll survive :heh:

No one said much about Midnight before he passed away (and they do now) and Marcel Jacob did way more that Midnight ever did. One of the best bass players (and guitarist/drummer/songwriter) by a long shot - just because Talisman didn't get the recognition they deserve doesn't mean hardly anyone knew about them. Many people knew about him and a tribute would be very fitting. Jeff Scott Soto could kick out some very heavy stuff with his past catalog that would well fit into the night.

No one said much about Midnight before he passed away (and they do now) and Marcel Jacob did way more that Midnight ever did.
I have to agree with Milt.

Marcel may have been an amazing bass player, but there are a ton of lesser known, great players out there and a ton of great unknown bands. We should pay tribute to them by discussing them. Those who are aware of such bands should bring them to the attention of those who aren't. That said, Talisman isn't a band that would hold a great deal of appeal for most of the audience. The fact of the matter is, there's exactly one thread on this board (which is three years old) dedicated to Talisman. There's been 28 dedicated to Vanden Plas. I think that speaks volumes, when trying to gauge the comparative interest levels of the two bands.

Zod

Talisman live kicked more ass than 95% of the bands I've witnessed at ProgPower ...

That said, naah, a tribute to Marcel wouldn't work at PPUSA - save that for next years Sweden Rock Festival and watch 15.000 people go crazyyyyyy.

c.

That would definately work. Some of the footage off of the Talisman dvd came from a Sweden Rock appearance... good stuff.

Being a bass player myself, I feel strongly from experience that there will never be a tribute show for a bass player (except Geddy Lee perhaps.) We are the Rodney Dangerfields of music. We get no respect. If Geddy were not the vocalist too, he'd be sitting in the corner with the rest of us.

:cry:

Darren

Marcel Jacob tribute
Part 1 of 2

Part 2 of 2

Here is the compilation tribute video I did for Marcel Jacob, original bassist for Yngwie Malmsteen and longtime bassist, songwriter and co-founder of Talisman, along side of Jeff Scott Soto.

He was a great inspiration to my bass playing as I was a Talisman fan and having to play Talisman songs when touring with Jeff, I really had to study his style and technique.

I met Marcel once on tour with Jeff in Italy around 2002 to discuss the Talisman DVD that I was to compile. We corresponded for the next year until the dual DVD was done. I have 52 DV tapes of Talisman concerts and backstage footage. This tribute video is the best of all the footage I have.

Also since I am Jeff's #1 video guy, I'm currently in the process of editing three music videos for his new music project called W.E.T. Marcel was filmed in the videos. I have the last video footage of him.

He took his own life just one week before he and Jeff were to start on the eighth Talisman CD.

The video I compiled is my, and everyone that was close to him, tribute to him.

See www.jeffscottsoto.com for Jeff's personal tribute.

A worldwide launch of the tribute videos happened today on all of Jeff’s related websites, youtube, myspace, vimeo, facebook and all rock webzines.

He will be missed.
Gary Schutt

Last edited by a moderator: