how about this mix? (technical metalcore)

Injectionboy

Jan 18, 2008
hey guys, I'm working on a mix that will be eventually used for my band's CD, I was wondering what do you guys think of the mix, especially the kick, snare, toms and guitar tone, cause I'm guessing whatever I use here will also be on the final mix with real OH and real bass tone.. cheers:

dropbox link

:loco:

Sounds tits! Tight as fuck, well the music helps it a bit :D But good mix, is it mastered?

wow, so tight, the drums are awesome, mixed so good, too.

you've got that balance of technical accuracy, but the guitars don't sound over edited (esp on the chugs - usually where people go wrong). well.. maybe a bit tooo tight at 1:45 ish.

the synths, whilst i don't like them in the context of this music, fit really well in the mix, no easy feat when there's already a fair amount going on.

very good work.

toms sound a bit too in your face, J'd suggest droping some absolute highs for more TACT and perhaps adding some room, otherwise this is FUCKING PERFECT. TACT BITCH
if I was Gareth, I'd say something like listening to this song is what I'd imagine being balls deep in Lady GaGa to be like

lemme guess.. pod farm (sounds more like the 2001 treadplate than cali actually), kick 10 (with just a tad of room, or perhaps it is compression that's making it decay just a little bit?), snare 12, quik toms. am I close?

i too think the toms sound a with a bit too "in your face" sound, how would you suggest resolving this? and by absolute highs you mean on the master bus?

yeah I don't have the cali actually (gonna buy it soon though, monkey is giving me a hell of a life) kick 10 with no room, snare 11 and def toms, really happy about the guitar editing in this haha

i too think the toms sound a with a bit too "in your face" sound, how would you suggest resolving this? and by absolute highs you mean on the master bus?

yeah I don't have the cali actually (gonna buy it soon though, monkey is giving me a hell of a life) kick 10 with no room, snare 11 and def toms, really happy about the guitar editing in this haha

yeah, it's in the palm mutes you can tell the 2001 and the cali apart. the 2001 has more of an "embracing" character, and the cali a more "distant" and undependant character. like you get more of the guitar itself or something, string sound-wise (in the 2001). the guitar editing is tits! it sounds like you slipped real takes instead of just recording note by note, that's where the "life" is bro. everything can be 100% on grid, but the playing is still responsible for most of the "life". I kinda like how I'm making up terms as I go, haha. I think you should leave the kick entirely, just EQ, any dynamic processing on kick 10 just makes it sound "harsh" and clippy and adds that short little ms of decay. I normally just EQ it to hell with 2 EQ's, masterbus processing generally gives the kick that gluey sound.

TACT for me, I use the term alot lol, is when everything is super loud, punchy but isn't "harsh", but smooth and still smashing you in the face, like warm and analog in way, like a perfectly blended lemonade, you could just drink it until you throw up. if I can refer to one of this great forum's many heroes, ol' joey sturgis is super keen about gettin it right with EQ's and stuff, and some producers around this area (in sweden) are starting to find their way aswell, analog helps with smoothness too, like outboard compressors and stuff. it's hard to describe, but the best I can do is: Listen to Circle of Contempt, and think the opposite of that. haha. the toms need that perfectly balanced tact-ish high-end to sit right. your toms could do with some more low-mid cuts in the 200-400hz area. try making weird narrow cuts anywhere from 4khz to 9khz (perhaps boosts aswell) and find the spot where they sound best, then do a highshelf on like a tom group or something. toms get sooo much stick and high-end from the OH's that they do better with a roll-off than a boost, atleast with software, but it generally applies if you're recording in a small/medium size room with fresh skins aswell. it's sort of an 80's thing boosting tom high-end really, haha. I did my best, AE terms are so hard to get down in words.

and yeah, an FX track running a bad-ass plate verb with 15-30 ms pre-delay sent to the snare and the toms can do wonders!

as I said, im gonna buy it soon haha..
thanks man, alot of it is real takes and some of it is just abit of "time stretch"..I'm using just eq on kick 10, I hate 80's toms, and I hate reverb (unless it's natural room decay)

as I said, im gonna buy it soon haha..
thanks man, alot of it is real takes and some of it is just abit of "time stretch"..I'm using just eq on kick 10, I hate 80's toms, and I hate reverb (unless it's natural room decay)

lucky for us, mr steven slate has some premium room sounds going!
oh, thought you were comping it aswell. may I advise you to backdown with release times on the masterbus limiter(s) then, I'm guessing you're clipping right now. try like 0.5-0.8 ms, the ozone intelligent II limiter yields some great results with those settings. I normally stage limit my masterbus using 2 limiters, first waves L2, then ozone.

here is a mix with the cali treadplate, there's not a lot of difference from what I can hear, any opinions on how to get tone with abit more tact? also does anyone have any suggestions on how to have good control over the kick 10's low end? I still wanna keep it in the mix but not have it pumping my master bus as hard as it does now :/

dropbox link

love it, dude. How you record the guitars? Also, one suggestion is to make the synth keys just a little more subtle when they first come up to blend a bit better with the guitars. Just my opinion, Sounds nice, though. great job

I felt the guitars weren't popping enough in the beginning, but then they popped too much from the middle to the end. Great synth patches for sure.. I felt what you gained in favor of the drums caused you to compromise the quality of the guitars, although the guitars did have their moments. Excellent work though.

love it, dude. How you record the guitars? Also, one suggestion is to make the synth keys just a little more subtle when they first come up to blend a bit better with the guitars. Just my opinion, Sounds nice, though. great job

line 6 ux2 into podfarm
which synth? the orchestral part or electronic part?

Information on guitar chain + drum processing would be great, sounds awesome! what are these quik and def toms mentioned?

kick 10, snare 11 and never toms (sorry my bad before)
each drum goes through a seperate EQ and the snare also has an 1176 and a clipper

oh they are drum samples which are bundled in steven slate drum samples

I felt the guitars weren't popping enough in the beginning, but then they popped too much from the middle to the end. Great synth patches for sure.. I felt what you gained in favor of the drums caused you to compromise the quality of the guitars, although the guitars did have their moments. Excellent work though.

what do you mean by that? in which riff do you think they pop too much?how would you suggest resolving this? any advice would be awesome.

what do you mean by that? in which riff do you think they pop too much?how would you suggest resolving this? any advice would be awesome.

What I'm saying is this, the drums in the beginning seem to be taking up frequencies that the guitars should have. And towards the middle of the song the guitars are suddenly as loud as the drums. Its just an EQ thing, strip the frequencies from the drums that are more complimentary to the guitars, and it will sound more clear.