How big is your drum room?

Depends on the band I'm recording, but it's usually a garage or empty bedroom. I wish the bedroom was bigger, I wish the garage didn't have concrete floor.

5.6 x 3.5 x 3.2, its rectangular and the dry walls are lined with 2 panels of rockwool. Diffusion I have to bring in with me though since I'm renting the space. There's curtains on each wall except for the one with the window that I can move around to change how live it is. Haven't found a use for anything but having them all down though as since I can't treat the roof I have cymbal problems as is.

Small rooms don't suck in general, it's just MUCH more difficult to get control over room modes etc, cause they tend to be higher and more in the audible range.

I find myself to track drums in the iso booth more often than in the live room these days, but that small iso room is perfectly designed to eliminate room modes and have an even RT60....of course you won't get much room sound from such a room, but in return you'll get more control over the dry sounds.

so in general a small room doesn't HAVE to be bad, it's just harder (and more expensive) to make it sound suitable for drums than a big room, what I sometimes do when I want extreme control AND roomsound is I track in the iso room and then "re-Room" the drums...meaning I play them through the speakers in the live room and mic that room....
you can either leave everything to sound as natural as possible (cymbals very loud, no EC etc) when you're doing that to get a very realistic room sound, or you tweak your drums first and then "re-room", that way you get a room verb that you can raise higher in the mix without making it sound too trashy

Small rooms don't suck in general, it's just MUCH more difficult to get control over room modes etc, cause they tend to be higher and more in the audible range.

I find myself to track drums in the iso booth more often than in the live room these days, but that small iso room is perfectly designed to eliminate room modes and have an even RT60....of course you won't get much room sound from such a room, but in return you'll get more control over the dry sounds.

so in general a small room doesn't HAVE to be bad, it's just harder (and more expensive) to make it sound suitable for drums than a big room, what I sometimes do when I want extreme control AND roomsound is I track in the iso room and then "re-Room" the drums...meaning I play them through the speakers in the live room and mic that room....
you can either leave everything to sound as natural as possible (cymbals very loud, no EC etc) when you're doing that to get a very realistic room sound, or you tweak your drums first and then "re-room", that way you get a room verb that you can raise higher in the mix without making it sound too trashy
Lasse, how big is your iso booth?

And +1, a heavily (and correctly) treated small room is basically like a big room, for example a treated ceiling / clouds make the room seem a lot higher than it actually is, same for all other walls.

My liveroom will be only 3 x 3,65 meters :lol: I still bet my ass it will sound great because Mika (the studio-designer/acoustician who also designed my controlroom - it sounds ridiculously good) knows his job. The room will have the whole ceiling covered with up to 40cm deep absorbers, and all walls will also be treated heavily - yet there will be a lot of diffusors so the sound isn't too dead. We will see how it goes :)

our liveroom is about 10*6 meters and has a slanted ceiling; 3.5 meters at the highest point and approx 2.1 meters at the lowest
done some reflection treatment to it in the corners to avoid standing waves and stuff but besides that we've kept it as "live" as possible. sounds killer

My new drum room is 4.8 x 4 meter, 4.4 x 3.3 after treatment. Small, but will work, what I previously had was even smaller. Ceiling is slanted going from 2.2meter to 2.8 meter. Can't wait to finish the new room.

Old room was 4.5 x 3 x 2.1.

I think it's like 13'x14' or something. Not very big. I have lots of treatment on the walls to basically kill a lot of the room's natural sound, then use better room impulses as a "room" mic track. "Room" is a weird fucking word when you use it repetitively.