How can I bring my guitars out in this mix??

SirKnucklesmd

Ctrl+zZzZz
Feb 11, 2011
Orange County
I've been battling this for a while now, trying to achieve that massive punchy kick sound complimented with lo contour guitar chuging, much like in the late Micheal Keene productions present in his work with Veil of Maya. I've got, what I feel, a very fat thumping kick with enough smack to cut through only now... my guitars are getting lost in the mudd. What could I do here to make these guitars pop out, more specifically the leads and getting that solo to sit on top without peaking out.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20963810/Frailty.mp3

I think it sounds pretty damn good man. Kick seems a little hollow/slappy, but the guitars sound great...

That being said: Putting the guitars a little more "in your face" is very easy. Boost 3kHz with a pretty narrow bandwidth. Boost the shit out of it and bring it down slow until you like it. The pain in the ass is whether or not that starts burying something else, LOL. Good luck man, and welcome.

Yeah, the guitars sound great already but I understand that you want to bring them more up front. I'd bring down the kicks some, they become a bit annoying a few minutes in. Maybe even get rid of some high end in them, make them less clicky. That would instantly leave more room for guitars.

For the actual guitars I'd say start boosting with a medium bandwith/Q at around 3-4khz, until you find that crunchy sweet spot that makes the guitars come alive more.

Also you might try to cut various frequenses in the bass guitar as well, sometimes they can muddy up the guitars without one realising it.

Thanks for the comments guys. I've actually been playing around with this BBE D82 Sonic Maximizer and H82 Harmonic Maximizer a little bit to bring out some clarity and brilliance to the sound and its brought the guitars to life. As for the Kick it is absurdly punchy. I referenced it in a car stereo system with two 12 in. subs and all you hear is a combination of earthquake and cement mixer. I brought down my 100hz shelf 4 db, nearly back to unity and lowered the threshold on my kick drum aux compressor so its not so squashed. Still a work in progress, but it is in progress.