How Can I Get Use Out of My SPDIF Inputs?

Nauru

Nov 1, 2009
So I just bought a new interface and it has 4 (well really two sets of) spdif inputs. Any ideas on what I can use these for?

Are they just inputs or are they outputs too? If they are inputs, there are a few preamps out there that have spdif. Also, you can record from certain sources like your TV(if the receiver has spdif obviously) or other things.

If you have spdif outputs, you can run them to another set of small digital monitors, or send audio to a recorder or something... There are a bunch of things you could do actually.

the real question is....
HOW DO?

I've been confused for a while now, as they look like plain 'ol RCA jacks...so do I use a plain 'ol RCA cable?

You can, but the actual digital cable has certain properties to it that make it work better. I did have some issues with my home stereo/dvd/ etc when hooking it up with regular RCA cable. Switching to the digital cable fixed it.

Yet on my laptop/Saffire setup, a regular RCA works fine going to my digital input on my monitors.

Yeah I know I could hook up like a tv or an Ipod to then, but I'm talking practically (Clearly I wouldn't need to hook my tv up on the 13th and 14th output very often when I record)
Any one know any decently priced pres that have spdif out, and if the quality is just as good as xlr?

Any one know any decently priced pres that have spdif out, and if the quality is just as good as xlr?

ART DPS II £230
ART MPA II £300
Apogee Minime £310
Audient Mico £350
Focusrite Twintrak Pro £400
TL Audio A1 £450
Aphex 207D £500
DBX 386 £500
JoeMeek Twin Q £675

XLR is analogue, SPDIF is digital. So there is AD conversion quality to take into account. In this price-range it's unlikely you're going to hear any real difference though.

ART DPS II £230
ART MPA II £300
Apogee Minime £310
Audient Mico £350
Focusrite Twintrak Pro £400
TL Audio A1 £450
Aphex 207D £500
DBX 386 £500
JoeMeek Twin Q £675

XLR is analogue, SPDIF is digital. So there is AD conversion quality to take into account. In this price-range it's unlikely you're going to hear any real difference though.

Thank you for this, you are great.

Hmmmm. I believe the Pod X3 also have spdif ins and outs. So I guess I could just plug a mic into the XLR of the X3 and the out of the spdif into the spdif in of my interface?

Im going to try this weekend and use the SPDIF outs on my Line6 UX2 to connect to my presonus firestudio and get 2 more inputs for drums.

Hope it works out