How can I improve my (real)drums?

abaga129

The Apprentice
Well I finally got the oportunity to record drums for my band and it was the most fun I've ever had recording! We had a great room to record in. (Basically half of the room was regular room and the other half was a cafeteria, so it made for some great ambient room mics.)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/56167527/Drum Preview.mp3

Overall i'm very pleased with our results! I'm mainly looking for some advice on the drum mix as it is right now, as well as some tips for fighting bleed post-tracking.

Also, what methods do you guys use to edit drums? The only way I know how is with elastic audio, but it can leave some very nasty artifacts.

Anyways thanks for listening!
Info on the setup: Pearl forum kit
Mics: i5 on Snare, D6 on kick, sm57 on Low tom top, AT2050 on Low tom bottom, sm57 on high tom top, mxl 990 on hi tom bottom, Behringer C-2's on OH's, Pair of Cascade Fat Head II for stereo room mics.
Other Gear: Tascam US-1800, Presonus M80

Slip editing ftw. :D

You can fight bleed with gates and expanders and such, but the ideal place to minimize it was when you mic'd the kit. :D

Why is the whole kit mono with all you've recorded with? :lol:

The tom(s) could use some scooping on the mids and maybe just a little boosting for little click.

OH's are bright but dull if you catch my drift. I'd also boost a bit of high end for the snare or saturate it a bit.