How come the US never gets fests like this?

Jasonic

Doom On!
Apr 14, 2004
West Burbs of Chicago
CATHEDRAL, AMORPHIS, KATATONIA, ANATHEMA Confirmed For Finland's Helldone Festival

CATHEDRAL, AMORPHIS, KATATONIA, ANATHEMA are among the acts scheduled to appear at Finland's Helldone Festival. The festival will take place at the Tavastia Club in Helsinki from December 29th to 31st. Acts confirmed so far include: CATHEDRAL, AMORPHIS, KATATONIA, ANATHEMA, H.I.M., THE 69 EYES, NEGATIVE, CHARON, BLOODPIT, SUNRIDE, DEEP INSIGHT.

Will Bozarth said:
i'd kill to see Anathema...

I only have their first one.
I would be more interested in Cathedral and Katatonia
(Though Katatonia will be here in October).

This is what kills me about festivals like Gigantour and Sounds of the Underground. Both fests were created to rival what Ozzfest is doing, yet all each tour does is take prior Ozzfest bands (For the most part) who aren't doing Ozzfest this year.

Gigantour was on the right track last year, though this year's fest is dissappointing. I mean I love Opeth and Arch Enemy, but they don't need the increased exposure that a high profile fest would provide (plus they are each here multiple times a year anyhow).

Sorry for the rant.
I am grateful for fests like Chicago Powerfest, Prog Power, and Heathen Crusade (among others) who take chances on smaller bands who would benefit from first time exposure in the states.

Katatonia, Anathema, Amorphis, Cathedral, HIM, 69 Eyes, Charon....goddamn, those are like all bands I love. I'd love to attend this.

The sad truth is this.....as much as it seems like these bands like Katatonia and Anathema have "large" fanbases in the U.S., it often doesn't translate to big ticket sales or strong support from U.S. booking agents. When a band like Katatonia ends up playing to like 80 people at something like the BW&BK fest, and they aren't racking up large numbers of cd sales here, it doesn't put alot of faith in the minds of promoters that it's worth paying alot of $$$ for them to come play their festival here. (Yet ANOTHER reason to reconsider illegally downloading bands cds....if you want to see them play live, chances are their cd sales numbers are going to greatly impact whether or not a promoter will foot the bill to bring them here to tour.) The amount of $$$ it'd take to fly the above mentioned bands here and to accomodate them would be quite large. Basically it'd require an American promoter to be willing to risk taking a big loss financially just for the sake of having a pretty cool underground lineup. And the truth is, there's hardly any promoters willing to do that, they're businessmen first and foremost. That's why I give credit to the promoters of fests like Heathen Crusade because they focus more on trying to get unique acts from overseas and I'm sure at great risk.

Unless these bands start selling more albums here, then youre not going to see a fest lineup like that here. Let's face it, there'd be tons of kids and people disappointed at this lineup because there'd be no grind bands or metalcore bands to do roundhouse kicks in the pit to. Heh. My suggestion? We all move to Finland. LOL

Yeah, I hear what you are saying. That fest would fail in the states (well, unless HIM were there I suppose).
Though look at what fests like Prog Power has done for power metal and prog metal bands? Bands like Symphony X, Blind Guardian, Nightwish, etc, etc, can now easily fill clubs throughout the US.

There would be more of a market for those bands if they were given the opportunity in a proper festival setting (IE - putting Katatonia at the end of a long day AFTER Grave Digger was probably not the best idea).

Okay, someone help me out here on the whole Anathema / Katatonia thing. I really like a certain set of Anathema's CDs: from Eternity through Fine Day to Exit (haven't heard Natural Disaster). My favorites are Alternative 4 and Judgement, I think.

So understanding that Katatonia and Anathema are often spoken of in the same sentence, I picked up Katatonia's Last Fair Deal Gone Down and didn't like it at all. Did I pick the wrong one? Is there a set of Katatonia's CDs that are more like mid-era Anathema? How can I like one and not the other, am I broken?

Ken

Ken,
My first exposure to Katatonia was actually when I picked up their 2CD / DVD set called "THE BLACK SESSIONS". This serves as a "Best Of" of their current "depressive rock" era (as some call it).
Personally, I love it.
As far as individual albums go, I would start with VIVA EMPTINESS.
I am still digesting their latest though many here loved it instantly.

Personally, I love it.
As far as individual albums go, I would start with VIVA EMPTINESS.

I'm not so sure I would start with Viva Emptiness. You can't just dive into that album. It takes awhile to get into, kind of an acquired taste. I would start with The Great Cold Distance for sure. I started on Tonight's Decision and loved it, then bought Viva Emptiness. Couldn't really get into it, so I set it aside for months. I actually forgot I owned the album, then perusing through my record store came across Last Fair Deal Gone Down. This is where I decided to give VE another try because it had the similar sound. Tracks like Teargas, Tonight's Music, The Future of Speech, Passing Bird, Sweet Nurse, and Sulfur on the reissue are what really got me into Katatonia. So, I would say, start with Last Fair Deal Gone Down or The Great Cold Distance, it will give the listener the best understanding of Katatonia's music. Of course, this is all personal preference, everyone is different.

Let's hope that the tour with Moonspell will help Katatonia's fanbase. I can't wait to see them. I've heard so many good things about their live performances. Actually Moonspell is supposedly a good act too. Definitely worth the $17.

metalprof said:
Okay, someone help me out here on the whole Anathema / Katatonia thing. I really like a certain set of Anathema's CDs: from Eternity through Fine Day to Exit (haven't heard Natural Disaster). My favorites are Alternative 4 and Judgement, I think.

So understanding that Katatonia and Anathema are often spoken of in the same sentence, I picked up Katatonia's Last Fair Deal Gone Down and didn't like it at all. Did I pick the wrong one? Is there a set of Katatonia's CDs that are more like mid-era Anathema? How can I like one and not the other, am I broken?

Ken

Well honestly, in my mind this falls into the same situation as Novembers Doom often being mentioned in the same sentence with bands like My Dying Bride and Paradise Lost. We may have a couple of traits in common with them but you cannot say we share the same sound and writing style, etc. Someone who likes PL and MDB won't automatically like or connect with ND. Katatonia and Anathema do tend to share alot of fans but I don't think that the two bands are necessarily all that comparable in sound and technique. I personally think the two bands are very different from one another. So I don't think you should view yourself as odd in any way that you like the one band and not the other.

This is part of why I hate labeling and generalization of styles/genres. According to many people, My Dying Bride, Opeth, Novembers Doom, Paradise Lost and Anathema all belong in the same genre category. Listen to those bands (I mean really LISTEN to them) and you'll find that those bands are all quite different from one another in many more ways than any shared similarities.

Anyhow, as for Katatonia, I agree that a good refernce for them is the Black Sessions 2-cd set. But seeing as that is costly and not too easy to get, I'd say Tonights Decision and The Great Cold Distance are two good resources for absorbing what they're all about. If you don't find much to like in those two cds, then odds are, they might not be the band for you.

P.S. I personally enjoy A Natural Disaster moreso than A Fine Day to Exit. Check it out sometime.

Jasonic said:
I only have their first one.
I would be more interested in Cathedral and Katatonia
(Though Katatonia will be here in October).

This is what kills me about festivals like Gigantour and Sounds of the Underground. Both fests were created to rival what Ozzfest is doing, yet all each tour does is take prior Ozzfest bands (For the most part) who aren't doing Ozzfest this year.

Gigantour was on the right track last year, though this year's fest is dissappointing. I mean I love Opeth and Arch Enemy, but they don't need the increased exposure that a high profile fest would provide (plus they are each here multiple times a year anyhow).

Sorry for the rant.
I am grateful for fests like Chicago Powerfest, Prog Power, and Heathen Crusade (among others) who take chances on smaller bands who would benefit from first time exposure in the states.

I agree that those fests like you mentioned are cool for bringing in the more cult acts and take chances. The fact of the matter also, is that the acts they're bringing in also don't command as much of a high money guarantee as a band like Cathedral or Anathema probably would ask for.

The big fests that occur here in the states (Ozzfest, Gigantour, etc.) are booked based on what the promoters feel is going to sell the most tickets. Arch Enemy might not "need" to do a fest tour here at this point exposure-wise, but the truth is that they will sell more tickets than My Dying Bride or Katatonia will. That's not a slight against those bands on my part, they're excellent bands, but it's just a fact that they will not draw the kinds of numbers that a band like Opeth or Arch Enemy or Lamb Of God will here in the U.S. And that's what the promoters care about, period. The promoters are not booking and funding these tours with the mindset of being fans themselves, they're doing it from a purely financial business-minded standpoint. As much as it irks me and obviously some of you guys as well, the truth is that it's business and it's how they make their living and I can't really dispute that. If more kids bought MDB cds in the States, and really showed a strong demand for the band to be here, then that might work more in their favor. We should find ourselves very lucky that we're even getting a tour like Moonspell/Katatonia/Daylight Dies, because generally that is a tour that most U.S. promoters would probably consider to be "risky". And that's a shame considering the high quality of those bands. But as I've been told by industry insiders many times before, "talent has very little if anything to do with how and why a band succeeds and gets the necessary breaks in this business."

If people really and truly would like to see this situation here in the U.S. change in regards to having more awesome underground metal acts tour here and be booked for cool fests then heres what needs to be done-

Don't steal music. For underground bands, every cd sale really matters. Purchase as many cds as you can from the bands that you enjoy. I know what it's like to be broke, trust me, but I buy as much music from bands I like as possible.

When a band does finally come around, go see them. For example, I had heard for so long from people saying how much they'd love to see Green Carnation play here, and then they did in Toronto, and many people who'd said that, didn't make it (though thankfully the fest was a success anyhow). Then they got a second chance when we performed together again earlier this year, and we had a turnout of maybe 40 people. Needless to say, it's going to be difficult to get promoters to be geared up to pay to bring a tour like that here again when the attendance numbers were so low last time. You cannot always wait for "the next time around" because chances are good that there won't be a next time.

Promoters and record labels need to know that they're not going to lose a bundle by bringing a band from overseas and putting them on tour, or on a festival bill. They base this on cd sales and any prior turnouts and public response to these bands performances here. I think there's a great amount of misconception amongst the fans and the public as to what would constitute being a "successful" tour or fest here. The costs and logistics for putting on these tours and fests are so high, it's really difficult to even break even on these things often times, much less make any profit.

So anyhow, it's good when people support the smaller tours that come through town, and the smaller one-off fests like ProgPower and Heathen Crusade, because it strengthens the scene and makes it a little more possible for even better festival and tour bills to occur. Having a better understand of how and why this business works might help people to come up with better ways to support bands and do what they can do to help get these bands to come to their town or country.

Jasonic said:
As I said before, I only have "The Silent Enigma" from Anathema.
What would be one to get next?
Get "Eternity" dude, it's B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L.
And if you enjoy good-old-school-deppresive-doom all the early stuff is fantastic!!!

About Katatonia and Anathema their live shows are very relaxed, even my girlfriend that likes Madonna, U2 got bored :heh:.
I enjoyed more Katatonia, the music sounded better live that in the actual albums.

Jasonic said:
As I said before, I only have "The Silent Enigma" from Anathema.
What would be one to get next?

I would say Alt 4 or Judgement

If you are more into the death stuff, their first ep and lp are more for you, Creatfallen/Serenades on one cd!

I think Pentacost 3, The Silent Enigma, and Eternity, were my least favorites,(in thet order) more like transitional albums for me anyway.
I was not too big on the last 2, but they aren't bad either.