how do buy metal in Austin?

oscillat0r

beyond silent black
Mar 20, 2009
Austin, TX
Can someone recommend some good places for me to get instant gratification when I need a metal fix in/around/or within 30 min of Austin TX?

Normally I just hit Cheapo and Waterloo but I'm relatively new to the area so I'm probably missing a trick.

jesse

thanks d00d. Now, after reading this thread, it sounds like i've got some spending to do.

Mr_Burns.png

thanks d00d. Now, after reading this thread, it sounds like i've got some spending to do.

Mr_Burns.png

Yeah, they have the "wall of metal" at Encore. Great selection and they also have quite a few great shirts and hoodies. I spend a minimum of $100 every time I go there.

In what part of Austin do you live? You get out for shows much?

i live in east/central austin (dunno what you'd call it). near Manor and the old airport.

I'm making myself go out more and more these days to see smaller shows @ room 710 etc. Its cheap enough and easy enough to go out here that I don't risk much by checking out local bands that I don't know.

(Though I'm impressed by the roster of 'bigger' bands that come through here - Carcass, Suffocation, etc have all been awesome shows.)

anything good coming up?

Jesse

All at Emo's:
May 18- Intronaut
May 19- Isis, Pelican, Earth Crisis
May 20- The Melvins performing the entire Houdini album

I actually live in Manor, about 10 minutes east of Austin. One of my good buddies/other guitarist in my band Pleasant Valley does the booking at Room 710. We are on hiatus right now, though. My other band, RISEthyRUIN, played there this past Saturday.

Hit me up on PM if you're ever heading out to a show...I'll buy you a drink.

I spend a minimum of $100 every time I go there.

yep, I'm $113 poorer now ;)

All at Emo's:
May 18- Intronaut
May 19- Isis, Pelican, Earth Crisis
May 20- The Melvins performing the entire Houdini album

I actually live in Manor, about 10 minutes east of Austin. One of my good buddies/other guitarist in my band Pleasant Valley does the booking at Room 710. We are on hiatus right now, though. My other band, RISEthyRUIN, played there this past Saturday.

Hit me up on PM if you're ever heading out to a show...I'll buy you a drink.

I think I'm gonna hit the Isis show for sure. I dig the track on the myspace page. Whats your other band like?

J

I always had a hard time finding shit in ATX once Tower closed... Waterloo is ok.. and that one store.. I think its on Lamar or some shit, but I cant really remember that far back... its been years.

Manor though? Damn thats far.

yep, I'm $113 poorer now ;)

I think I'm gonna hit the Isis show for sure. I dig the track on the myspace page. Whats your other band like?

J

We're kinda like Isis, but way heavier and way more tripped out. We bring our own lights and projections to our shows. I actually play bass, synth, and do vocals in RtR. I'm just guitar in Pleasant Valley...PV is death/grind ..Carcass meets Brutal Truth.

I always had a hard time finding shit in ATX once Tower closed... Waterloo is ok.. and that one store.. I think its on Lamar or some shit, but I cant really remember that far back... its been years.

Manor though? Damn thats far.

how long have you been out of NY and in TX? Gonna stay long term?

I've been here almost 2 years (from Boston) but I'm getting quite settled in down here.

Ive been in TX for awhile. Cant stand it, honestly... but, thats whatever.

Where's Encore? Is that the place thats right around 183? Thats probably the store we used to go to... cant remember at all.

Ive been in TX for awhile. Cant stand it, honestly... but, thats whatever.

Where's Encore? Is that the place thats right around 183? Thats probably the store we used to go to... cant remember at all.

It's in North Austin about 3 miles east of 183 near the Burnet, Anderson Lane intersection.

I honestly don't care for much of Texas, but absolutely love Austin. I travel extensively for my job and can honestly say that Austin is definitely my favorite place of all the U.S. cities I've been to.

It's in North Austin about 3 miles east of 183 near the Burnet, Anderson Lane intersection.

I honestly don't care for much of Texas, but absolutely love Austin. I travel extensively for my job and can honestly say that Austin is definitely my favorite place of all the U.S. cities I've been to.

yep. there's texas, and there's Austin, might as well be opposite ends of the world. I dig it more and more though, in spite of all the lofts going in downtown :puke:

on the other hand, though Boston's 'home' for me, I honestly can't imagine why anyone would ever want to visit there these days.

ATX is ok... just still too small for my liking, and shit closes too early.

Yeah that's probably the place, though... sounds about like the area.