HOW DO I GET A GOOD TONE OUT OF MY PEAVEY TRIPLE X HEAD?

sk8ersick666

I need a beer...
Apr 12, 2009
Jersey
www.myspace.com
I own a Peavy Triple X head but I don't get to play it enough because I live in an apartment so my head and cab stay @ my band's rehersal studio.

I use my head and cab for live gigs and to re-amp all my recordings.

Right now is running through a Peavy XXL cabinet (thats the crappy digital version of my amp) and I know is not the best but thats all I got at the moment.

What cabinet options do i have so I can get some killer tones out of my head, recorded and live.

Also If you can list some settings on the head itself that would be good too.
I play in a melodic deathcore band so I need to get a lot of crunch and low end as well as a good tone for soloing.

You really don't need the excess low end, leave that to a bass player. But on the tone... Everything depends on everything. Start with moderate volume, gain at 10 o clock, tone settings at 12 o clock except bass at 9 o clock and and start tweaking from there.

edit: Listen to the KsE song "Hope Is..." on 00:5-00:10 or "Self Revolution" on 00:05-00:08 to hear how their guitar sounds by itself without the quadtracking and bass.

Aye 666, I love my XXX and could not live without it. My settings are;

I only use the crunch channel;
HAIR 7
BODY 2
BOTTOM 6
VOLUME 4ish (This to my ears is the sweet spot for my amp
GAIN 5ish (Though this comes down as I turn up the master)
MASTER ?

These settings are at a moderate level (meaning no speaker movement), but when jamming or going for a slightly different recorded sound (speaker movement) the gain gets dropped to 2 or under) as the master gets kranked.

I have JJs in the preamp section and JJ EL34s in the poweramp section, which to my ears gives me more bite and definition.

I read somewhere (cant remember where), if you change the settings on the ultra channel whilst playing on the crunch channel, it slightly changes tone and dynamics. tried it and yeah, it actually does! So keep this in mind to. (Interested to hear Andys opinion on this, as he uses XXX a fair bit).

I boost mine with several different pedals, just which one depends on my tastes for a certain day, but the 2 I have come to love with it are the MAXON 808 and the GARY HOLT DOOMSDAY DEVICE. The Maxon giving it a mid hump with tighter bottom end, and the HBE DOOMSDAY giving it a bit more balls and thicker sound without the mid hump.

Also, Gary Holt suggests to have the send and return levels at the back of the amp at around 2 oclock for both, otherwise any more than that and it starts getting too bright, just his 2 cents, but you may want to change that.

I have borrowed a mates MESA o/s cab at the moment and am loving it. Will have to save now to get one of my own.

Oh, and before I forget, CABLES dude. Stumbled across this a few months back, you really can hear a difference between shit and good quality cables, it brings the chunk out with the goodens.

So there ya go mate, just my knowledge of what I have acquired so far, hope this helps.:headbang:

Sorry to kind of hijack that thread but I'm thinking of buying a XXX and have a few questions: How do you guys like the clean sound of the amp? Would you same that the Crunch channel = Marshall and Ultra = Rectifier soundwise (well, kind of, their obviously not going to be just like the suggested amps)? I read something that there is a delay on the channel switcher so it takes a bit for the amp to change channels if you step on the footswitch. Is that true?
Thanks.

Sorry to kind of hijack that thread but I'm thinking of buying a XXX and have a few questions: How do you guys like the clean sound of the amp? Would you same that the Crunch channel = Marshall and Ultra = Rectifier soundwise (well, kind of, their obviously not going to be just like the suggested amps)? I read something that there is a delay on the channel switcher so it takes a bit for the amp to change channels if you step on the footswitch. Is that true?
Thanks.

Well, cant hear any traces of Marshall on the crunch channel.While I havent played all the amps in the world (I have played through Bogner, Mesa, Krank etc), I must say that for all out thickness that the crunch channel is the best Ive heard.

The Ultra is better than the Recto IMO, but I dont use that channel much. No delay on the footswitching here mate either. Not a fan of cleans so I cant really comment on that part. Hope all this helps.

The setting I've been using most on my XXX lately is hair 5 o clock, body 2 o clock and hair 5 o clock. Ultra channel. I'm using it through a Blackstar cab, though anything with V30's should do nicely. The volume control for the channel you're not using almost acts like a presence control. I tend to have it set between 12 and 3 o clock. Use a tubescreamer to tighten the low end and don't go over the top with the gain on the amp. You really don't need it past 9 o clock.

Thanks.

Clean sound on the XXX is great btw, not exactly warm or anything, just very clean and clear.

The crunch/ultra channels really arent all that different. Crunch is more focused in the midrange and is a bit tighter, ultra is a bit more scooped sounding. Deffo not a marshall sound to be had in there tbh...