How do mic at home (without bothering neighbour)s

Jevil

Pro Evolution Fucker
Apr 18, 2006
Basque Country
www.soulitude-web.com
The studio I usually borrow is a bit unconfortable cause I have to drive, so I'm thinking about micing at home instead of using ampsims and fake gear for demos, but the problem is that I don't want to be banned from my neighbourhood due to high noise levels.

What can I do?

My stage gear is not suitable for home so what about getting a 2x12 and a small amp? Or should I get those kind of small closed cabins with a cone inside? Built this kind of cabin myself?

A 2x12 still needs to be cranked loud. Speaker movement/breakup is where a lot of the magic happens when you mic up amps, and that doesn't happen at neighbor friendly volumes.
To be honest, for heavy music, a 2x12 just isn't as good as a 4x12 anyway.
Just go to the local studio you talked about, it wont be worth the hassle trying to do it at home

The studio I usually borrow is a bit unconfortable cause I have to drive, so I'm thinking about micing at home instead of using ampsims and fake gear for demos, but the problem is that I don't want to be banned from my neighbourhood due to high noise levels.

What can I do?

My stage gear is not suitable for home so what about getting a 2x12 and a small amp? Or should I get those kind of small closed cabins with a cone inside? Built this kind of cabin myself?

2x12 won't really be much quieter than a 4x12 to be honest. Isolation cabs always sound very boxy from what I've heard.

You could try out the ENGL Gigmaster, as it has a power attenuator that will go all the way down to 1 watt. Not sure how loud it is at that volume.

To be honest if you're only doing rough demo's amp sims or impulses are fine. If you're actually recording guitars for a EP/Album I'd track DI's at home and then reamp later at the studio.

I had this problem once, and the only viable solution that I was able to be happy with, is buy a Weber or a Hot Plate (or any other GOOD attenuator), and record in a closet with some blankets on top. You'll be able to crank your amp to get good tube saturation, yet the noise is very acceptable.

I you really want to record at home, I see two options:
1. Turn down the volume of the amp. Still, that should sound superior to an amp sim.
2. Record a DI using some modeller for monitoring and jamming, then run this DI through your kranked amp and record it ONCE. The whole thunderstorm should be gone after 3:30 (or 7:00, if you double-tracked).

just don't turn the amp up so loud?

its still very possible to get great guitar tones at low volumes dude...

you can get perfectly useable tones at low levels!

It doesn't necessarily sound better at higher volume just different (more saturation, more/less treble/bass depending on the amp)

Lots of bands (Fear Factory, Dimebag Darrell (yes I know his tone was fizzy as sin) and a ton of jazz artists) have used transistor based amps which DO sound the same at all levels and they all manage to get good tones.

The best thing to do is to just get an attentuator.
You can still drive your amps to get powertube saturation but the attentuator will allow you to reduce the overall volume coming from your cab.
Just mic it up and you're good to go.
Also, you can use a Hotplate (set to "load") if you want to use tube amps without a cab connected, and run the output into your interface to use with cab impulses. I do this all the time, works great.