How do you compose?

Martin Halmo

New Metal Member
May 19, 2006
I am wondering what is going on behind your songs, how they come out. Are there some specific harmony constructions I mean do you have some key according which you compose or is it just stream of consciousness. Do you also have some favorite scales?
Thanks Ron

That totally varies on so many different things. I'll hopefully be able to convey a bunch of writing thoughts and ideas on the upcoming DVDs. But for a quick reply, some scales that I use are major/minor, harmonic minor, half/whole tone, whole tone, some exotic scales that I don't know the official name for, sometimes combine parts of scales like a cross between blues and harmonic minor, etc... For chords and clusters I use just about anything and everything, but I really dig when there is a m2 or diminished 5th interval. That could come from or lead to just about anything, so there are so many possibilities. In other words, it's kinda difficult to answer your question. Sorry about that...

Ron

Hi Ron

I just discovered your site (and your circle of 12 notes) today... How did you pick the notes for the R.E.M circle? (well, random ofcourse) ..but, how did you decide that "this random circle is best for the no-skip-idea than another set of random notes"?

"So how many different ways can you lay out the 12 tones on a clock? TONS!! " -bottom of the circle of 12 tones page

theres 39,916,800 different combos actually. Just thought I'd add that. Of course youd end up with some of the same note groupings eventually, put still, that's a lot of orders.

Zyquix said:
"So how many different ways can you lay out the 12 tones on a clock? TONS!! " -bottom of the circle of 12 tones page

theres 39,916,800 different combos actually. Just thought I'd add that. Of course youd end up with some of the same note groupings eventually, put still, that's a lot of orders.

The software project I started builds on this idea of applying patterns to randomized groupings of notes. However it also supports randomizing the patterns to be applied.

Right now it's probably difficult to use if you are not familiar with command line programs. However, there are examples included in the download package. I haven't found time to develop a GUI for it. Developers are welcome to join.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/musickwrx