How do you handle this when recording...

Aug 9, 2010
Germany
Hey,

I've lost so many hours of my nice life because of the following damn workflow in Nuendo. When I'm recording a Band, I have one project file per song. For example, when it comes to the situation that you're recording guitars and you've made a nice setup with the routing and vst inserts of many guitar tracks (DI, Mic, Podfarm...) ... how do you transfer it into the next song? I love Protools in this case, because of its import session data feature. I've found nothing similar in Nuendo yet. So, what I'm doing is saving the channel strips in the mixer window, but it doesn't help that much, cause it doesn't include routing and naming. So I have to do this from scratch everytime it open a new song...This is getting on my neeerves!! Is there any better workaround?

If you can't import setting, you should be able to make a song recording template and save as different names for each song or open the template and save it as the song your working on at the moment, keeping the template saved for opening and renaming for the songs that follow.

in cubase 5 (and even 4 if i remember correctly) you can make "track presets" or whatever - I'm sure nuendo can do it too?

When you open the mixer window you can also select the channel and copy that channels settings from one session and open the new session your working with- and paste those settings. If you didn't know that already- I recently figured that out a few weeks ago because I fail at learning my daw...

Save session as a template or save to a new location (back up in C5), wipe the audio files, and start clean.

Or, track the 'meat' of the instruments (drums, bass, guitars, possibly vocals/keys) in one single project, do the backup procedure I just outlined for each song (so you have like 10 versions of the huge session), and then just clear out all the audio data from the other tracks and treat it as a song per file type session. That's actually how I do most of my mixing; do the bulk of the work in an album-per-project setting, and then split them up for fine tuning and automation.

Leave the tracks "empty" by deleting the audio of the recording sessions, so you just have the tracks fx and they'll be ready to record again.

The problem with this "deleting all audio-workaround" is that, when I'm recording guitars, I usually have already a lot of audio (drums..) in that session. So when I'm deleting all audio to record again, I have to copy all the drum tracks (including tempo track) to the new session. Thanks for all your tipps, but I feel like my workaround seems to be the best.
Hope Nuendo 6 makes it possible to save track data including names and inputs and so on..