Separate Projects for every song? How do you do it?

The Unavoidable

jättebög
May 27, 2008
Umeå, Sweden
When you are recording a demo/album/ anything where everything uses the same sounds etc you know, do you create a separate project for every song, or do you use the same for every song?

And by "projects" yeah, I'm a cubase user but whatever it's called in PT, Logic etc. Like when you have to go File - Open Project for every song. It sucks trying to explain these things in another language, but yeah you get what I'm saying.

Recording everything on the same project would be ALOT easier when setting up sounds, pre-mixing etc. But it does create the problem with track alignment n shit, (especially in cubase, as soon as you start to mess with the tempo it goes nuts).

So yeah, what do you do?

I track in separate sessions/projects - as it keeps everything tidy and makes tempo changes/multiple takes etc easier.

Then once everything is tracked and all time based editing is taken care of, consolidate the tracks and import into one project for mixing purposes.

Best of both world IMO.

Personally, I use a seperate project for each song, less confusion and less compliacated for complexities with automation, tempo changes etc.

For instance, If your recording a 4 track band EP why not create a new session set up your tracks and sounds, all ready to go and save it as a template. Then record your first song save that as a different file, then open the template and repeat the process.

Most sequencers will allow you to import session data, mixer and plugin settings, you should have know problem importing your settings from one song to another during mixdown...

before you begin tracking, make up a "template" of all your i/o, track names, etc.

then save it under some default name...then after each song's tracked, "save as" under a different name

then load the template back up, track the next one, "save as", repeat

If you're doing that^^^ with pro tools don't forget to check the disk allocation options in each session and make sure the files are going where you want them to :)

I've only done 3-4 song demos for people, so I've just done them in one project. With a longer session, though, I think I'd track in seperate projects and then after editing everything, bounce/consolidate and move them all into one project to make mixing easier.

I track everything in one session, just like I would have with a tape recorder and a console.
At mixdown I save each mix as a different file.

i've done this before, but it seems to rob me of vital system resources...i really don't wany any more tracks being loaded at a time than are necessary