DAW workflow question

Gelatin

Boob inspector
Jun 10, 2002
Stockholm, Sweden
www.facebook.com
When I was starting to record using Cubase, I had problems keeping the consistency between project files when I recorded using one project file for each song.. I imported the same mixer settings, same saved plugin presets but somehow songs sometimes came out sounding too diffrent, probably because I forgot something or whatever.

I've since started using only one project file and record all songs in that one file - that way I'm 100% on getting the same sound between songs, and I get rid of the work moving presets between projects etc.. Bad thing is that the projects end up having a lot of channels and also I'm putting all eggs in one basket (if the project file gets corrupted or whatever)

What do you guys do?

Separate project for each song.

I thought about doing what you outlined, having all the songs in one project file.
I dont know.. I dont dare do it.
If that project file should become corrupt for some reason....I would freak out!!

Just the nerves I would have isnt worth it :)

I keep all songs in one file. It just works best for my work flow. I'm using Cubase as well. The only time my computer really slowed down was with extensive drum editing when I had 1GB ram. Haven't had that problem now that I have 3GB.

Also, I have never had a corrupt cubase file (knock on wood), but I have had my fair share of corrupt protools files (one of the reasons I switched to cubase). I had one protools project where the main file was corrupt, so I went into the backup files to find that half of them were corrupt as well :mad:. Lost alot of work that day.

each song gets its own project

i even like to bounce a rough mix and load into a new project for tracking vox, then edit the vocals, bounce those, and load into the original project - mostly cause my comp. is a little bitch and doesn't have the horsepower to handle the mixes i throw at it!

Depends on the music: for small, simple stuff I'll all the songs in one project, but for more complicated stuff I'll use separate projects. I'm working on something at the moment that has 120+ tracks per song, and most of the songs are 6 minutes long - apart from the fact my computer would weep trying to run all that from one project, I use Sonar 6 which has a limit on project sizes.

Steve

For most recording/production/mixing I use one single project. If things are made to sound very much alike I find this to be the smoothest work flow. Saving presets and moving around between projects is so unmusical and boring! As long as you're not afraid to make decisions and bounce stuff often so you don't have a gazillion edits going, you can get away with almost anything.