Reaper: Clean Current Project Directory

Melodeath

Moonbow
Feb 6, 2004
Northern VA
I think I may have just accidentally discovered a cool feature of the "Clean Current Project Directory" command in Reaper.

I currently have a project folder for a song I recorded. It has the Reaper Project file, backups saved every 3 mins, and an Audio folder. There were lots of bad takes and half/rough takes that I could delete using "Clean Current Project Directory," but I decided to make a brand new "Mix session" first. Rather than Making a new project folder for the Mix session for the song, I decided to simply Save As and give this the name "[Song X] Mix" in the same directory. I manually copy/paste over only the files I need from the Recorded Song project to the new Mix project. Both projects are open at once and I copy/paste between them.

For example, the Recorded Song project contains Guitar DI files that I have since reamped. For the mix, I only need the reamped files, not the DIs, but I would like to keep the DIs in case I ever have to go back.

Since the DIs are not in the Mix session, if I cleaned the project directory, those would get deleted, unless I saved the Mix session to a new folder and copied the used Media over to its own Audio folder.

Here is what I discovered... if I have the Mix Session open in one tab, and the Recorded Song session open in another project tab, and I run "Clean Current Project Directory," Reaper accounts for both projects, and will not delete the DIs.

Is this something you already knew? Have you tried it before? Is it an intended feature, or a beneficial bug? Is there something I'm not thinking of that could cause an issue down the road?

Thanks!