Tempo and recording on more than one DAW

53Crëw

Jan 31, 2007
Quick question for you guys....

I have a song I'm working on that has multiple tempo changes. If I mix down the instruments to an MP3 and send it to someone to record vocals on their own DAW, do they need a tempo map? Or can they just record the vocals and send back a .wav file of the vocals and will it import into my project OK?

Cheers, guys.

On cubase, if all the instruments are mixed to one mp3 then you wont need a tempo track unless the vocalist wants to use a metronome as they record. From my experience, the tempo track will dictate the start positions of tracks if they are not all glued and mixed to one track. So if you send the mp3 then they can import it into any DAW and record their vocals to it, a tempo track should not affect an exported mp3.

like they said above - the vocalist should be more then comfortable recording vox to an actual backing track mix down rather then to a click track, that way he can 1 get more into the general feel of the track and 2 make sure his tuning and tonality is suiting well to the current music that is already recorded

wwwwwwwwot?! mp3's?!?! how did none of you chime in here. sir, you bounce lossless uncompressed .wav (or .aiff) files while moving sessions NEVER mp3's, mp3 is for web deployment ONLY. can't believe i was the first to say that!

edit: oh i see now, it's just a guide track for tracking vox. well i guess that's ok. but any audio data that's going into a mix should NEVER be converted, until a master is getting compressed for web deployment like i said. but now having grasped the context, you guys probably all knew that already i'm sure.

lol, ya, as he said it was only guide for vocals and the vocalist would send back the .wav files then. But it's still handy to clear it up in case someone read it in the future and thinks "I saw on a forum you can use mp3's of the mixdown" then start wondering what was up with the sound!