How many projects?

hughisonfire

New Metal Member
Nov 7, 2010
Hey guys,
I was wondering when people record albums etc, do they make a new project for every song? and if so how do you keep everything sounding consistent through the album? thanks

First off, bookmark the search page:

http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=007593470310830667409:4qw46y8lnza

A quick search for "songs project file" yields a dozen threads about it.

But to answer your question, one song per file for me. easier to deal with as each song usually has its own little touches that require additional tracks, so track numbers would start getting ridiculous if you keep it all in one session. I've also seen a few threads here about guys having issues with computers slowing down when running big ass sessions that contain a lot of songs. (Seem to remember someone on Reaper having an issue with that)

Anyway, in Pro Tools, it has a session import feature wich allows you to import the exact same mix settings for different projects, so it's really easy to keep everything consistent. I know Logic has a similar function. Dunno about the other DAWs

Anyway, in Pro Tools, it has a session import feature wich allows you to import the exact same mix settings for different projects, so it's really easy to keep everything consistent. I know Logic has a similar function. Dunno about the other DAWs

That's easily done by taking the completed mix for one song, deleting all the sounds off the tracks, and saving it as another project file. Sort of like a template. I doubt that's not common sense, but I felt like posting that for people. :]

As for the topic, in the past, I've recorded in separate projects for each song. And after I get all the tracking done, I'd load them into one big project for mixing, but that's usually because I like to make the stuff I work on gapless, and I like to put cool transitions in there. :)

the last thing you want to do is delete the audio and save as

save as and then delete the audio

save as is really really really fucking close to save

for which there is no undo

Cubase has a Project Template feature, it's exactly as it sounds - template of the tracks/mixer/plugs/all settings. Usually it's one project per song. However, the last two bands I worked with I actually did everything in one big project. It ran fine for me on my iMac (quad i7).

Cubase user here as well, I don't use templates, though. I just save the mixer setting but not to a single file. I've learned to save groups of instruments. Since the songs may differ in their instrumentation and the number of tracks it's easier to save & copy a drum group, rhythm guitar group, basic effects group, etc.

I copy the mixer window into each session.

If it's under 5 songs, I usually track in one session - copy all the audio into a new session (per song) then remove from original session.

I really don't like mixing in one session, I like each song to be approached in its own way. If I want to copy tones over, I'll just copy.

haha thanks for the bookmark suggestion dude.
and template sounds like a good idea :)
thanks everyone

For EP's I just track the whole thing into one session, carefully monitoring the tempo/signatures. Automations can be a pain in the a** though, at least for me.

Edit: For albums, well - I use PT's Import Session Data feature.
I don't have a 10,000rpm HDD, and no RAID either. I'm scared of the consequences if one of my HDDs fail.

Definitely use the template function in Cubase. As mentioned, be VERY weary of deleting the audio and saving as a new project. Also, be sure and take notice of the pool folder when trying the save as trick. If you delete unused media make sure you have reset your pool record folder for the new project.